Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PSP traffic shaping

bil1965
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently purchased a P2P camera which I monitor while out of the office..  I'm being told by them the reason it won't work on 3G is due to traffic shaping at Vodafone.

Can you confirm why this is......  This has nothing to do with sharing data and music!  Many more manufacturers are using this protocal...

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there bil1965,

I can assure you we don't undertake any type of traffic shaping.

There may be certain times of day whereby there are more subscribers connected to a particular mast and this will mean the bandwidth has to be shared amongst those subscribers. But that's entirely different to the way an ISP would operate due to the nature of the mobile network.

Cheers,

LeeH

bil1965
Thanks for getting back to me. I have tested and no matter what I do you seem to strangle P2P connection. I put an O2 sim in my iPhone and the app streams across 3G.
If I reduce frame rate and quality it may work on Vodafone?

Have have logged a file with Apple and they are experiencing similar issues.

Don't shoot the messenger but the developers of the software are of the opinion Vodafone do something to P2P connections.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi bill1965,

The difference with the O2 SIM may again be down to the traffic in play on the cellsite in question. 

Please rest assured that we do not use traffic shaping with P2P connections.

Dave

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi bill1965,

Thanks for your added notes.

We're going to need to do some testing so I've sent you a PM which can be accessed here. If you could follow the instructions in the PM and send us your details one of the team will be with you as soon as they can.

Cheers,

LeeH