Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

R207 authorization error

Adrian_M
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Vodafone mobile wifi R207 is *very* hard to connect to over wifi. I've got three different smartphones, three different laptops and a PC with a wifi dongle - all can see the device's SSID but typically all return some error to the effect that they cannot connect.

Specifically, the android devices alternate between "Saved stored" and "Authorization error". I have however managed to connect a couple of times (so the password is entered correctly) but the wifi connection drops after moving a couple of metres away and then the usual errors re-emerge when trying to reconnect.

The only occasions I managed to wifi connect I was right next to the device. I mean within 1m. So far I've wasted 10% of my 2GB just trying to google for a solution - including joining these forums.

This is the second R207 as well as the first one had exactly the same problems so everyone though it was a faulty device. Not so it seems,

7 REPLIES 7

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Adrian_M

The difficulty in making a connection could be down to the location.

Are you able to test the R207 at a different location? This will rule out any issues with the device itself.

I'm seeing very odd behaviour that's hard to fathom. I have tried the R207 in numerous locations - indoors and out. It's almost always the case that an attempt to connect, say by selecting the SSID in the wifi settings of a smartphone and clicking connect, will fail with the errors I described above (Authentication error mostly).

However, if I forget all about trying to connect and walk around then look later on it may well be connected. In this case I can be a fair distance away in another room in the house (so it's not just a weak radio) and it stays connected just fine. Oddly though, on the rare occasion that I can force it to connect by being nearby, I only have to move a few meters away and the wifi connection drops.

Is it just me or is there anyone else who's seen this sort of thing?

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Adrian_M

The range on the Wi-Fi will decrease the more devices there are connected.

Is it just the one device you're connecting, or multiple ones? 

I'm being very careful with the data cap so been keeping it to myslef. Maybe had a couple of occassions where two devices were connected but mostly just the one.

The first one I returned to the place I bought it from was equally reluctant to connect - I demonstrated that to the sales guy who also found his phone wouldn't connect when we tried it.

I'm wondering if there's a firmware update that could be applied?

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Adrian_M

Please make sure you have the latest software for your R207 and any devices that you're using.

If these are all up to date, we can take a look. Visit our Vodafone repairs thread to arrange this.

DaveCD

@DaveCD - the latest software at the end of your link is an application that has a readme listing the supported devices which does not include the R207 or any other wifi equipped mobile broadband devices.

Curiously, I can find no mention of the R207 in the mobile broadand web pages

R206 & R208 but not R207. Why's that?

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Adrian_M

Please see if resetting the R207, by pressing the button on the back under the cover helps.