Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

R207 dongle using too much data!

Owenstoodstill
1: Seeker
Bought this wifi dongle on PAYG. It came with free 1gb of data.
I set it up and everything seemed fine. I did a few speed tests and went to a couple of sites, I didn't download or stream anything. After doing this which lasted about 15mins I lost connection. My account was showing no data. I contacted Vodafone help who said my sim was not activated and that most likely it didn't have the 1gb on it, I found this strange as i was using data when I got it. Once it activated later that evening I added 15gb of data. In 4 hours since adding data, I visited a few social media sites without posting, downloaded 1 audio book and streamed iplayer for an hour, then the connection went and oh, what a surprise my data was gone......again! Now I know this stuff reasonably well and I know 15gb of data isn't going to be used from what I was doing so what is going on ?? Has anyone experienced this ? Im pretty ##~## off to be honest!
5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Owenstoodstill

I agree it does take some doing to use 15Gb.

What are you using to hook up to it. Laptops / Pc's will use data faster as they use more rich content internet pages / update in the background etc. 

This is a help thread I wrote > Using-more-Mobile-Data-than-usual-My-Guide.

If any data monitor isn't showing where it's being used then it maybe beneficial to engage with customers service again. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Owenstoodstill
Thanks for the reply.
Well most of the use was just on phones. We used our laptop for about an hour just for streaming.
I'm going to contact them this morning. No idea how I can prove that data is being used to quickly though lol

You're welcome. 

I thought I read in your first post that you didn't do any steaming. 

An hours streaming can use quite a lot of data. 

Also speed tests can use approximately 40mb each time they are run. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Owenstoodstill
Just an update. So after finally getting a helpful advisor I was told that my account is still showing 12.5gb remaining so there is obviously an issue with the dongle. He's raised the issue with another department and I have to phone them.
I have to say, for a dongle that I purchased simply to cover me for a few days whilst my home broadband is out of action this has been nothing but trouble

Hi @Owenstoodstill

Thanks for updating us. Is this all sorted for you?

Cara