Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

RAS error 770 using VMB

imacca
1: Seeker

Hi,

I'm having problems connecting through Vodafone Mobile Broadband on a laptop.  The laptop is a Dell Latitude E6400 and the SIM is using the built-in Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA mini-card modem. 

If I use the Dell supplied mobile broadband manager I can connect straight away without a problem.  I installed VMC v9 that I had saved and when trying to connect received RAS error 663.  I removed the Dell software but still received the error.  When querying the modem in Device Manager, even with VMC closed, the modem was in use. 

I can't see what else was using the modem so installed the latest version of VMB from the Vodafone website.  I am now getting a RAS error 770 which I don't seem to be able to find any information on.  I have checked that the account type is set to pre-pay as this is one of the things it suggests to check. 

When I try and remove the device inside VMB it says it's active, even if I turn the modem off. 

Can anybody help please?  This is driving me up the wall.  I want to use the VMB as it allows me to check my balance. 

Thanks,

Mark. 

7 REPLIES 7

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi imacca,

You don't need to worry as this can be sorted however you will need to use the modem that came with the SIM rather than the onboard modem if possible.

1. Unplug the device and close the VMC software.
  2. Go to “Phone and Modems” option in control panel, and remove all Globetrotter entries.
  3. Plug the device in and allow this to finish installing.
  4. Go to “Device manager” and Disable the onboard modem (if present) then disable the Globetrotter entry under “Network adapters”.
  5. Go to Network sharing centre and select Manage Network connections on the left hand side of screen, remove VMC dialup if present.
  6. Unplug the device and open VMC.
  7. Delete any Globetrotter entries from manage devices, click Apply then Ok and then and close VMC.
  8. Plug the device in and open VMC.
  9. Once the device has been detected by the software go to Manage devices. At this stage you may only see an Application interface this will be ok as long as it is showing ticked as default and active. On the other hand you may see the two entries, if this is the case you will need to make sure that the modem interface is the one ticked as default and showing active.
  10. Go back to main view and click Connect to test the connection.

Please let me know how this goes on.

Thanks
James
eForum Team

Hi James,

Thanks for the help, but surely I should be able to use the laptops internal modem?  VMB supports and recognises it quite happily? 

Thanks,

Mark. 

jarviser
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

Some 5530's were locked to another supplier. I had a Dell 5510 (PCI express version) that had to be unlocked.  Do you know if it was supplied with Vodafone SIM in the first place?  Did it ever work?   If you look at the card under the cover does it have the antennae connected to it?

BTW, You can get unlocked 5530's on ebay. 

Have you checked to ensure the software is set to use the correct contract type? This should be available in the VMC software from Settings, Change Account Type and then ensure that it is set correctly to either Contract or Prepay. Also may be worth creating a new connection in the software, by going to Manage Connections, and then selecting View and then New. I've had a few issues when installing the software where its defaulted to prepay, and meant that I've been using the wrong settings.

Cheers

Simple

Has there ever been a definitive answer to this problem? 

I have a similar situation.  I have a PAYG SIM from a Vodafone supplied Hauwei USB dongle.  I cannot get it to work in my new Vaio laptop which has built in WWAN (Qualcomm Gobi 2000).  If I put the SIM back in to the USB dongle it also doesn't work with the latest version of VMB (which recognises the Qualcomm modem).  If I remove VMB v10.1 and install an earlier version of VMC Lite (which doesn't recognise the Qualcomm modem) then I can connect with no problems using the USB dongle.

For whatever reason the SIM and Qualcomm modem seem to have some conflict.  The modem is recognised by VMB and all the SIM settings are correctly shown.

In case it was something to do with being a prepaid PAYG SIM I have also tried a friend's contract SIM with the same result. 

I am frustrated that I have paid for WWAN on my laptop but currently cannot use it!  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

What is a Globetrotter entry?

If I were to follow these instructions, when I do want to connect to wifi (rather Vodafone Mobile Broadband) will I have to undo all these settings?

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi ChloeForbes

A Globetrotter is the record of something that was attached to your computer at some point, these were the old type data cards that slotted into the PCMCIA slot of your laptop. :smileyhappy:

I have answered your previous thread here, please can you take a look and let me know how you get on.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

If I've helped at all today, why not leave me a little feedback?:smileyvery-happy: