Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Registering a PAYG dongle

stephend
4: Newbie

How do I register a PAYG mobile broadband dongle to set up a "My Account" to check the balance left on the dongle/sim.  The registration process says it has send a text to the number but the number is a dongle/pc - how does it get a text?

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Pop the SIM card in a phone in order to receive the text.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Mmm.  I guess that will work but will it work with a non-Vodafone phone?  Do we know if that is the "official" method of registering?  (There is no mention of that on the Register page, just a note about iPads getting a popup instead of a text, but this is a PC.

BandOfBrothers

Yes , As long as the phone you choose to use is Unlocked so it accepts a Vodafone Sim Card. 

Current Phone  >

Some similar threads. 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Data-on-the-go/Help-dongle-and-registering/m-p/2354670/highlight/true...

Current Phone  >

The link points to a post that refers to "Mobile Broadband Dashboard" software and links to Mobile Broadband Software page that says it is not compatible with Windows 10, which is platform involved.  There is a "Windows 8" support link but, when I first started looking at this 2 weeks ago, that did nothing for my Windows 10 and there was nothing in the Windows Store.  However, since then, a Windows 10 compatible Vodafone Mobile Broadband app has appeared.  I installed that with SMS available and received the text to register the account.  But all is still not well...

I'm finding it virtually impossible to log into the account, which belongs to a relative, or my account or my wife's account.  It always says the credentials are wrong, but they are most definitely correct.  If I try too many time the account gets locked out.

The app itself has a "Check balance" button which NEVER works - there is always no connection to the server.

This is very poor.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@stephend

I am about to move this thread to the Data on the go board, which is the place to discuss Data on the go (Mobile Wi-Fi, data dongles and tablets) and Mobile Connect software. There is at least one similar thread there, and your problem will get the notice of other users who may have experienced similar issues.

Annie

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@stephend

Please check you have the latest software for your device and the mobile broadband dongle.

So we can check the log in details, please contact our Live Chat team.

The software on the PC came from Microsoft Windows Store a few days ago.  The dongle and PC are not actually mine but I will have a chance to see if there is a software update available in a couple of days.

The website account log in seems to have sorted itself out as it's OK now.  I think the Vodafone website was in a state of flux because, for example, at one point I found 2 paths to the login page, one would not accept the email address as a Username (too many characters), whereas the other one would.  Now, I can only find one log in page, which works with the email address.  (By "works" I mean it accepts the log in credentials - I still can't find any record in the account of a data pack that was bought a few days ago, as I mention in another tread on this forum.)