Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow Internet Access

birminghamtf
Not applicable
Hi

I have recently purchased an Acer laptop & dongle from Vodafone. Is it the 'norm' that internet access in painfully slow ? (just loading the main internet page takes ages).

My trial McAffe period is almost up - but I have a 3 user license from my home PC - and am just trying to download it on my Acer laptop - and it says it's going to take 14 hours just to down load the software. I've checked my 3G coverage and it should be 'good' for my postcode.

Is this just the way 3G is (via a dongle) and is there anything that I can do to make is a useable internet service ?

thanks

Carl
2 REPLIES 2

jarviser
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

Hi

I have recently purchased an Acer laptop & dongle from Vodafone. Is it the 'norm' that internet access in painfully slow ? (just loading the main internet page takes ages).

My trial McAffe period is almost up - but I have a 3 user license from my home PC - and am just trying to download it on my Acer laptop - and it says it's going to take 14 hours just to down load the software. I've checked my 3G coverage and it should be 'good' for my postcode.

Is this just the way 3G is (via a dongle) and is there anything that I can do to make is a useable internet service ?

thanks

Carl

No it's not the way it is if you have an "Excellent" signal. It really depends on wher you live and what's between you and the mast. "Good" is not "Very Good" or "Excellent" which are the next two levels and only the latter would give you a chance of the full 3.6mbps. It's also the average for the map segment not your house.

Go to speedtest.net and do a test. 3200kbps is as good as it will probably get. 100 to 1000 kbps is quite likely for a "Good" signal and although email and simple sites will work at 100, downloading something like McAffee will take many hours.

As far as I know you have 7 days to change your mind about keeping the bundle.

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hello Birminghamtf

3G reception and performance will depend on your specific area, in addition to this we can check specific site activity according to your post code, please provide this or confirm that it is the same as in your eForum account post code.

Other factors can also come into play, like the positioning of your dongle (in relation to your house and any low signal spots). If you are using one browser try alternating it ans experimenting with Google Chrome or Opera too.

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team