cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sony Vaio VGN-Z series - built-in SIM - connects, but no internet access....

IMAtechie
2: Seeker

Hardware: Sony Vaio VGN-Z31 with built-in SIM card holder | Vodafone Pay Monthly - SIM only

Software: Windows 7 32 bit | Vodafone Mobile Broadband Software version 10.2.302

Hi,

I run a technology business that has recently changed to Vodafone to supply our Mobile Broadband services. We have

5 laptops that are all experiencing the same problem. They successfully connect to Vodafone MBS, but do not allow internet access.

We can neither send/receive emails, nor can we access websites using IE/Safari/Firefox.

I have run some diagnostics, the results of which are as follows:

- Units work with O2/ 3 networks using Sony Proprietary Oneclick Internet software.

- Installed Vodafone MB software and units connect, but no internet access - software indicates upload/download activity.

- Executed 'IPConfig /all' the results returned a valid IP address and default gateway for each unit

- Turned off Windows Firewall, but still experienced the same problem.

- Windows 7 tray icon indicates 'No Internet Access'

I'm really at a loss here because it appears that the hardware is working correctly, but something further down the line is preventing internet access.

I would really appreciate any help with this issue.

Regards

Paul 

IMAtechie UK Ltd

3 REPLIES 3

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi Paul,

This is a strange one.

The fact there are IP addresses being assigned and show a connection but still no internet are making me think an authentication issue. 

Have the SIMs been activated? If they havn't then that could be a reason they are not getting access.

Are you able to run a traceroute from one of the laptops? This should give an indication as to wether or not connections are getting beyond the Vodafone network and if so how far.

Nabs

IMAtechie

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I will run a 'traceroute' as soon as one of the laptops passes through my office again.

I did take one of the SIMS out of the older Sony Vaio VGN-Z series and place in a newer Sony Vaio vpcz13v9e-x and it worked without issue. So I'm now really confused because both series of laptops are using the same software.

Unless I'm being dumb and the SIM has to be Authorised if it is being moved to a different latop!?!...which makes sense for security reasons.

Regards

Paul

Hi IMAtechie,

To be hones the change in laptops shouldn’t make a difference as the SIM doesn’t need to be authorised to be used in a different laptop or modem.

The only thing that I can think of off hand would be to check the connection settings in the VMB Software to check that you are trying to connect to the correct APN.

This can be found in the advanced options within the VMB software.

If you can take a look at this for us and let us know what connection you are using and if you are a contract or PAYG customer we will be able to double check this along with the traceroute if you can provide this.

James