Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

jeffdawson78
4: Newbie

Hi,

I've very recently - 9 days ago - signed up to Vodafone mobile broadband 50GB plan using there mifi mobile router for use at home on my boat with our laptops.

As I have not used this before I have been keen to see how the speeds compare to my old Plusnet broadband and keep an eye on data usage.

I was therefore very surprised to see my account saying I had used 13GB of data over 2 nights! I checked the usage breakdown and saw a number of very strange readings of the same amount at small intervals:

16 Jan 2107
18:34  990.03 MB
19:33 990.03 MB
21:07 967.97 MB
21:25 990.03 MB
21:41 967.97 MB
21:57 765.02 MB
22:10 967.97 MB
22:30 199.16 MB

17 Jan 2017
07:09 11.49 MB
20.21 990.03 MB
20:35 967.97 MB
20:49 990.03 MB
21:05 967.97 MB
21:21 495.01 MB
21;28 967.97 MB
21:47 990.03 MB

22:05 234.86 MB 

On the 16 I did download a couple of shows from iplayer (approx 1.5GB) but nothing to use anywhere near that much data. 

I called the supprot line this morning but whilst courteous weren't able to do anything other than suggest visiting a store.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any advice!

349 REPLIES 349

Elaines35
Annie that is correct. I can apply the data cap on my Vodafone but it never takes effect. I have a screen shot of the last attempt saying it would take 5 min but it still didnt apply it

Elaines35
Is the data cap applied as standard after 28th spetember?

Nabs
17: Community Champion

@Elaines35 I believe it's off by default and has to be enabled by the customer. 

To update. As I went through a 3rd party (Carphone Warehouse) to get my mifi, the Vodafone store couldn't send mine off as I wasn't on their system. CW couldn't do it directly and I would have to call Vodafone Network Support to arrange it. But as I was in the 30 day purchase CW exchanged my device for a new on which was much easier option and doesn't leave me without internet.

So I won't find out if there was anything wrong with my first device but will keep an eye on my accout with the new device to see if this happens again.

It would be good to know what if the cause is identified and if Vodafone resolve @Elaines35 issue.

For the record I've didn't try to apply a datacap so unlikely for that to be the case.

Thanks 

Nabs

@jeffdawson78 Thanks for the update! Glad CPW exchanged it for you. 
As an experiment would you be willing to try and enable to data cap to see if you get the same issue as @Elaines35 does?

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Elaines35 If you're continuing to experience issues, and so we can take a look into this further, we'll need to access the account.

Please do try our dedicated Broadband team on Live Chat again, or give them a call on 08080 034 515 between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week.

Elaines35
@natasha I have removed the voadfone sim from my hub at the moment as all the data is now used up (and some more). The new month doesn't begin until the 28th again. I was still within my cancellation period with ee so I'm using it at the moment with no problems. My main issue is that there has been a massive amount of data applied to my account which has caused a hefty bill. As explained earlier the data Cap will not apply through my Vodafone. I tried it twice before this problem and took it for granted it was active but I knew I had loads of data left on my plan and wasn't planning on running over. Think I had about 5gb available on the night of the problem.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@Elaines35

Please can you confirm that your problem is with mobile broadband (aka Data On The Go), rather than home broadband? I'd certainly read all your posts to be about mobile broadband, but it seems you're being directed to the home broadband support team, so I just wanted to clarify.

Nabs

@Tash @Annie_N This is Mobile Broadband, the 50GB tariff and data cap is mentioned, something that is not available to home broadband customers.

Elaines35
Yes a 12m sim only contract with 50gb of data monthly. Signed up on the end of December on the Vodafone website so still within my 30 day cancellation period.