Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

jeffdawson78
4: Newbie

Hi,

I've very recently - 9 days ago - signed up to Vodafone mobile broadband 50GB plan using there mifi mobile router for use at home on my boat with our laptops.

As I have not used this before I have been keen to see how the speeds compare to my old Plusnet broadband and keep an eye on data usage.

I was therefore very surprised to see my account saying I had used 13GB of data over 2 nights! I checked the usage breakdown and saw a number of very strange readings of the same amount at small intervals:

16 Jan 2107
18:34  990.03 MB
19:33 990.03 MB
21:07 967.97 MB
21:25 990.03 MB
21:41 967.97 MB
21:57 765.02 MB
22:10 967.97 MB
22:30 199.16 MB

17 Jan 2017
07:09 11.49 MB
20.21 990.03 MB
20:35 967.97 MB
20:49 990.03 MB
21:05 967.97 MB
21:21 495.01 MB
21;28 967.97 MB
21:47 990.03 MB

22:05 234.86 MB 

On the 16 I did download a couple of shows from iplayer (approx 1.5GB) but nothing to use anywhere near that much data. 

I called the supprot line this morning but whilst courteous weren't able to do anything other than suggest visiting a store.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any advice!

349 REPLIES 349

Hi

This is my 4th day of trying to get this resolved, hav ebeen onto the chat team and they cannot resolve it and told me to ring customer services, I have called customer services and they cannot answer any calls due to technical difficulties.  HELP

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@lizpughey So we can help with this, please follow the steps provided in the private message that will be sent to you shortly.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi everyone! :smileyhappy:

The issue with the Mobile Broadband data cap has now been resolved.

Let us know if you require any further assistance.

Alex - Can I ask if that is for business contracts too? If so can you advise where I find where to activate it? In "My settings" it only shows a roaming cap. In "Alerts" there is only a useless option to tell me when a new statement is ready so no luck there either.

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@TomW500 As far as I'm aware, this is for our Consumer customers. 

However, our Business Live Chat team, will be happy to give you more information regarding this :Smiling: 

Thanks Colleen. Did that and was told that it should have a cap but I'd to call business team which I did. Was then transferred to Migrations and the cap was applied. After all the months of hassle that seemed far too easy so I wait with baited breath to see if it really happens.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@TomW500 That's good to hear that everything should now be applied for you. :smileyhappy:

Uh-oh - Just got an R216 dongle and the magic 990.03 Mb's has just appeared on my useage 1st time i've used it - obviously not sorted yet - only had it a few days. has anybody any info on this as yet?? - Phil

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@ditto73 Groan! I'm sorry to realise that this might still be happening. I'm sure that one of the Forum Team will be along before too long, to look into this for you.

In the meantime, you might be wise to turn on the UK data cap on your account, to ensure that you can't go crashing through your monthly data allowance. This is off by default, but can be turned on as described here (the Consumer Customer instructions). If for any reason you can't engage the data cap, please post again here, so that the Team is aware of it.

Thanks for speedy reply Annie. can't turn ofn the cap as - after going through all the preocedure it says that i must phone VF - but, surprise,surprise, the number is "not recognised by Bt" - I have no other 'phone. I'm off to fight with currys - so expect anyhting that will be far frome simple - but item is less than a week old - wish me luck!!