Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgraded to 4G, using latest VMB software - no option to specify 4G for dongle

prom22
4: Newbie

I have just upgraded to 4G and downloaded the latest version of VMB, but when I go to Settings to specify "4G only" (or similar) for my connection I only have the usual 3G options.

I was told that I did not need to upgrade my dongle K5150 - it seems I was just switched over to 4G?

Can anyone tell me how to check that I have a 4G connection?

Many thanks to anyone!!

9 REPLIES 9

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Hi @prom22 

Looking at the user guide (ignore the fact that it's from the NZ website, they are all the same) it suggests you should see a purple LED indicator on the device. The " Current network" panel shoudl also indicate a 4G network.

If you are not getting this then it would be worth following the Network troubleshooting guide.

Thanks, I was coming to the conclusion that I will have to hike my laptop and dongle to another location for a definitive answer. Will post with the result!!

Nabs

Good luck :smileywink:

Let us know how you get on :smileyhappy:

Well, drove to my local hotel - WA4 4BB - on a hill but still no signal. I need a definitive place/postcode beginning WA4 to drive to if anyone can help?

I have a K4505 dongle (having looked at the small print on the back) - I cannot confirm from the internet whether this is definitively a 4G dongle or not. It seems to be 3G and HPSA but that is all I can find.

Do I need a new dongle after all?

Nabs

Hi @prom22

Looking at that postcode it's only got outdoor 4G coverage. Not sure how far away you are from Runcorn East train station but going by the map it should have 4G coverage

runcorn.PNG

Regarding the device, i've only had a quick look online but the Vodafone K4505 appears to be a rebranded Huawei E182E which is a 3G only device. If your account has been upgraded you may see an improvement in 3G performance but you wouldn't be able to connect to 4G with this device.

If you want to connect to 4G you will need to upgrade your device to the K5150, At the moment it'll set you back £49 for the device or free if you take a 12 month contract.

Thanks very much for that information - I will have a think..... as I mostly use this on my laptop at home (too small a home for a tower system) it may not be worth getting a new dongle at present.

At least I know more now than I did !!!!

Nabs

No worries @prom22 

If you have any further questions feel free to post back and we'll find you ana answer :smileyhappy:

Mega - just chatted with Vodafone accounts people - they confirm it is a 3G dongle and are sending me out a 4G dongle free of charge..... I can then go to Runcorn East to check it out!!!!!! Many thanks to Vodafone and the helpful people on this Forum.

Nabs

Fantastic news!

I'm sure you'll love 4G when you get your new dongle :smileyhappy: