Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using a mobile phone as a hot spot versus using a mobile wifi device

snappergraham
3: Seeker

I recently purchased a Vodafone mobile phone,  and a mobile wifi device.  How would the cost of using the phone as a wifi hot spot compare with the cost of using the mobile wifi device? 

7 REPLIES 7

63johnw
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
Hi, is the phone payg or contract? You can't have hotspot on payg phones on Vodafone.

Hi

It's a pay monthly phone.

Retired-EricChe
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@snappergraham

The cost of using the phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot would be the same as using the mobile Wi-Fi device. Both the devices will connect to data the same way.

If you go over your data allowance on either device, you'll incur out of bundle charges for data. These charges can be seen here.

Thanks for the info. At the moment I am using a mobile WiFi to connect my laptop to the internet. However, I'm wondering whether to dispense with that (and the monthly cost of it) and use my phone as a hotspot instead. Any thoughts or advice? Both the mobile WiFi and my mobile phone are Vodafone products.

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

There is no difference in using your handset compared to a mifi device.

But you will need to take into consideration:

The increased data usage on your phone.

The extra battery drain on the phone

Data speeds/connection reliability if making a call

Ease of placing elsewhere to get a better signal.

If you can live with the above, or they don't apply, then I can't think why you would need two seperate devices.

Thanks for your reply.

I think the extra data cost on my phone would be covered by not having to pay the monthly cost of the mobile wifi device.

I don't know how significant the extra drain would be, on the life of the battery.

I have a good 4G signal, so that shouldn't be a problem.

But ...... I hadn't thought about data speeds/connection reliability, if making a call.

Something for me to consider.

Thanks again.

Graham

snappergraham
Thanks for the info. At the moment I am using a mobile WiFi to connect my laptop to the internet. However, I'm wondering whether to dispense with that (and the monthly cost of it) and use my phone as a hotspot instead. Any thoughts or advice? Both the mobile WiFi and my mobile phone are Vodafone products.