cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone K3765 Dongle - I Can't Get VMC (Vodafone Mobile Connect) To Fully Install

geoffmilne
Not applicable
I have just bought a K3765 modem. I run an HP nc6220 with XP SP3. Everything is up to date on the system.

When I install the software (after it failed to install automatically I downloaded the latest version from the Vodafone website) the installation seems to go as expected, but when I restart to complete the installation process I get the error window "Mobileconnect has encountered a problem and needs to close etc" after the restart and mobile connect will just not start up.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing several times but it is always the same.

I did have a 3 mobile broadband previously but I have deleted that from the system.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. So far the help line has not been able to help.
15 REPLIES 15

gaz23g
4: Newbie
I have just bought a K3765 modem. I run an HP nc6220 with XP SP3. Everything is up to date on the system.

When I install the software (after it failed to install automatically I downloaded the latest version from the Vodafone website) the installation seems to go as expected, but when I restart to complete the installation process I get the error window "Mobileconnect has encountered a problem and needs to close etc" after the restart and mobile connect will just not start up.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing several times but it is always the same.

I did have a 3 mobile broadband previously but I have deleted that from the system.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. So far the help line has not been able to help.

I rang voda for this as well but to be honest the person i talked to didn't have a clue they did however give me the dial-up settings which elliminated the need for the vmc! plus the dial-up is quicker than vmc only drawback is that you cannot monitor your usage, so have to keep a log on it yourself i would suggest asking voda for the dial-up
if you can help with a problem great do it. If your just here to ###### people off then sod off!!

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi geoffmoz,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always great to see new faces on here :).

It sounds like there may be a software conflict somewhere on your system that's causing the installation to fail. As gaz23g has advised, you don't actually need the VMC software in order to connect. I'd recommend setting up a manual dial-up connection as follows:

-Go to Start > Control Panel
-Double Click on Phone and Modem Options (Fill in the location info if it asks)
-Click the Modems Tab
-Highlight the Huwaei Modem and click Properties
-Click the Advanced Tab and type in the following where it asks for an extra initialisation command: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"
-Press OK and then OK again
-In the Control Panel double click on Network Connections
-Click on Create New Connection/New Connection Wizard
-Choose Connect To The Internet and press Next
-Choose Setup My Connection Manually and press Next
-Choose Connect Using A Dial-Up Modem and press Next
-Type in Vodafone when it asks for an ISP name and press Next
-The phone number needs to be *99#, press Next
-Username and Password and both web press Next and then create the connection.

Assuming this works, it can be used in future by going to Start > Connect To > Vodafone. You'll be able to monitor your usage via our free My Account service.

If you would like to use the VMC software to connect then the following guide details a process called a Clean Boot which will help identify where any software conflicts may lie:

To Apply “Clean Boot” on Windows XP:
1. Click Start > Run.
2. In the Run window, type following text:
msconfig
3. Click OK.
The System Configuration Utility appears.
4. Click the General tab.
Click on Selective Startup and make sure that "Load System Services" is the only item checked.
(You will be unable to unselect "Use Original BOOT.INI." This is OK).
5. Click the Services tab.
6. Select Hide all Microsoft Services.
Warning Do not skip this step. You must hide the Microsoft Services before you go on to step 7.
7. Clear all the services that are still displayed on the Services tab.
8. Click Apply > OK.
9. Click Restart.

If error is cleared then indicates a conflict with another service or application running on the machine. This will require enabling each service/application one by one and retesting to find the service/application at fault.
Note: When you have completed your troubleshooting, follow the steps in the next section to configure Windows to perform a Normal startup.

To Reverse Clean Boot:
Restore your computer to its original settings
1. Rerun MSConfig utility as detailed above
2. On the general tab click Normal Startup.
3. Click OK.
4. Click Restart.

Let me know how you get on :).

George
eForum Team

geoffmilne
Not applicable
Hi geoffmoz,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always great to see new faces on here :) .

It sounds like there may be a software conflict somewhere on your system that's causing the installation to fail. As gaz23g has advised, you don't actually need the VMC software in order to connect. I'd recommend setting up a manual dial-up connection as follows:

-Click the Modems Tab
-Click the Advanced Tab and type in the following where it asks for an extra initialisation command: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

Assuming this works, it can be used in future by going to Start > Connect To > Vodafone. You'll be able to monitor your usage via our free My Account service.

If you would like to use the VMC software to connect then the following guide details a process called a Clean Boot which will help identify where any software conflicts may lie:

1. Click Start > Run.
msconfig
3. Click OK.
Click on Selective Startup and make sure that "Load System Services" is the only item checked.
Warning Do not skip this step. You must hide the Microsoft Services before you go on to step 7.
8. Click Apply > OK.
9. Click Restart.

If error is cleared then indicates a conflict with another service or application running on the machine. This will require enabling each service/application one by one and retesting to find the service/application at fault.
Note: When you have completed your troubleshooting, follow the steps in the next section to configure Windows to perform a Normal startup.

To Reverse Clean Boot:
3. Click OK.
4. Click Restart.

Let me know how you get on :) .

George
eForum Team

Thanks for the suggestions and welcome.

Problem now solved. I finally got through to an engineer (after my problem was ‘escalated’ after 5 calls) and he sorted it out very quickly. It was a .NET Framework problem. Apparently the version on my PC was corrupted (quite common he told me). I had to uninstall Mobile Connect, then uninstall all .NET versions using the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool. I then reinstalled Mobile Connect which installs a new .NET framework 2 and everything worked OK.

However, I will be keeping your suggestions handy in case I have future problems.

Many thanks,

Geoff

geoffmilne
Not applicable
Thanks for the suggestions and welcome.

Problem now solved. I finally got through to an engineer (after my problem was ‘escalated’ after 5 calls) and he sorted it out very quickly. It was a .NET Framework problem. Apparently the version on my PC was corrupted (quite common he told me). I had to uninstall Mobile Connect, then uninstall all .NET versions using the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool. I then reinstalled Mobile Connect which installs a new .NET framework 2 and everything worked OK.

However, I will be keeping your suggestions handy in case I have future problems.

Many thanks,

Geoff

geoffmilne
Not applicable
Hi geoffmoz,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always great to see new faces on here :) .

-Click the Modems Tab

1. Click Start > Run.
msconfig
3. Click OK.
8. Click Apply > OK.
9. Click Restart.

To Reverse Clean Boot:
3. Click OK.
4. Click Restart.

Let me know how you get on :) .

George
eForum Team

George

I am now having problems with drop outs frequently. I have been told that setting up a connection as you outlined above might solve the problem. However I tried to follow your instructions above but I get a no dialtone error message (680) when I try to connect. Any suggestions? The bit I don't quite follow is :

Username and Password and both web press next and then create the conection

Does this mean I don't need a username and password? I assume this is the case.

Thanks

Geoff

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Geoff,

The username and password need to be entered as WEB.

If you can give this a go and let us know how you get on.

James
eForum Team

geoffmilne
Not applicable
Hi Geoff,

The username and password need to be entered as WEB.

If you can give this a go and let us know how you get on.

James
eForum Team

Thanks James. Unfortunately still no go. I get Error opening port:680 No dialtone.

geoffmilne
Not applicable
Thanks James. Unfortunately still no go. I get Error opening port:680 No dialtone.

Apologies, I made a typo in the initialisation string - now working OK. Thanks for the help.

Geoff

Retired-David_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hello geoffmoz

We're glad to see your query is resolved. :D

If you still have any questions, we have fantastic help available on the Vodafone Help Centre and on the Vodafone Youtube pages.

If you still need help, either a member of our team or a fellow forum user will be able to help out.

Thanks B-)

David
eForum Team