Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone K4505 Dongle - I'm Getting 'Device Not Found' On Windows XP Laptop

srbamber
Not applicable
hi - my k4505 stick doesn't work on my hp nc6400 laptop, running Windows XP

it recognised it ok when first plugged in, and installed the drivers and Vodafone Mobile Connect without issue.

but now whenever i plug it in Vodafone Mobile Connect is unable to find the device, and if i try and shutdown or restart windows it just hangs. Note that the hang only occurs if i've plugged in the K4505, the PC works fine if i dont.

it seems to be there's a problem with the drivers for the K4505 - i noticed a similar post on these forums, that doesn't seem to have a resolution.

i've tried reinstalling and upgrading VMC to the latest 9.4.6 version, but still no joy.

anyone got any suggestions ?

cheers
steve
8 REPLIES 8

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi there srbamber, and welcome to the eForum!

This doesn't sound good :(

From what you describe, there appears to be driver conflict - can you go into your Device Manager and confirm this? There will be a '!' or a '?' highlighted next to the modem. As we're not accredited Microsoft technical support we can't really provide a step-by-step guide on what to do next (not helped by the fact we can't see what's happening), but if you can provide more detail like screen shots, we can give our best guesses as what's happening and possible routes to resolve this. Also, the community can take a peek and give advice!

Keep us updated with how you get on,

Daz

eForum Team

srbamber
Not applicable
hi daz

windows isnt detecting any conflict (see attached) but the drivers seem to be very flaky

as soon as i plug the dongle in i'm unable to attach any other USB devices and the laptop wont shutdown - if i dont plug the dongle into the laptop its completely stable

the driver version is reporting itself as

Vodafone Mobile Broadband-USB Device (Huawei) 22/06/2009 1.0.0.9.SP00

is that the most recent ?

is there a newer one (or an older one) i can try ?

cheers
steve

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi again srbamber,

How peculiar!

Well, I'm not sure what to suggest, but our resident Windows guru BenJ is keen to know the following!:

- Make & model of computer?
- Service Pack version?
- In Control Panel > Phone & Modem Options > how many modems do you have here?
- In your Run > services.msc make sure Telephony, Network Connections, Remote Access Connections Manager and Auto Remote Access Connections Manager are all enabled / automatic startup... if not, can you set them to this and restart/retry?

Let us know!

Daz

eForum Team

srbamber
Not applicable
i've requested a replacement dongle in case its a hardware problem

in the meantime the laptop is HP Compaq NC6400, running Windows XP SP 3 + all latest security fixes

control panel was showing 3 instances of the Huawei modem - i've deleted #2 & #3 but its made no difference, VMC still not finding the device (there's also the internal laptop modems showing here)

all those services listed are present and running

i'm going to try re-installing everything again, then its going in the bin ;)

hawkybaby
Not applicable
Hi there.

I have the same problem with the same model of laptop you have and with XP SP3 and all up the date.
I am not picking up anything.

Shee

i've requested a replacement dongle in case its a hardware problem

in the meantime the laptop is HP Compaq NC6400, running Windows XP SP 3 + all latest security fixes

control panel was showing 3 instances of the Huawei modem - i've deleted #2 & #3 but its made no difference, VMC still not finding the device (there's also the internal laptop modems showing here)

all those services listed are present and running

i'm going to try re-installing everything again, then its going in the bin ;)

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi sheelagh

I have responded to your post concerning the modem issue.

Let me know if my suggestion doesn't help.

Regards

Trev
eForum Team

Piano
Not applicable
Hello guys,

I have a client which has experienced interesting problem.

If he tries to use this modem he gets message Device not found. If we change SIM card, there is no such problem. Can SIM card cause this error or there is anything else involved ?

Thanks

P.S. Its K4505 and XP SP 3, Vodafone Mobile Broadband software.

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Paulius K. and welcome to the Vodafone eForum. :)

Yes it's possible the SIM card is causing the issue. Certainly if changing that SIM results in the USB modem functioning as required.

I'd certainly suggest a change of SIM as the next course of action to take.

Let me know if you've any further questions.

Regards

Trev
eForum Team