cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Mobile Broadband - Getting HTTP 500 (Internal Error) When Searching On Google

aerial558
Not applicable
I have recently found that I am unable to search using Google. I can access sites in my favourites file and can access sites if I know the full web address.

If I just search for a topic I get the following error message:

HTTP Error 500: An internal error was encountered

The server encountered an internal error
Usually this means that a resource required to fulfil this request was unexpectedly unavailable. The resource might have been a socket or a file open on a remote unavailable system. I have only just started getting this problem and if I use Yahoo or another search engine, no problem seems evident.Has anybody else come across this issue :(
15 REPLIES 15

heady
4: Newbie
Has anybody else come across this issue :(

I wouldn't expect Google to be serving 500 errors - however, they have surprised me with config errors for their own systems before. (A recent Google blooper being every page linked off a search was suspected of having a virus)

By the error text you posted I'd have a look here: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?show...22267&st=20

As I'd expect that the 503/504 errors mentioned in that thread are the same symptoms you are encountering.

aerial558
Not applicable
I wouldn't expect Google to be serving 500 errors - however, they have surprised me with config errors for their own systems before. (A recent Google blooper being every page linked off a search was suspected of having a virus)

By the error text you posted I'd have a look here: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?show...22267&st=20

As I'd expect that the 503/504 errors mentioned in that thread are the same symptoms you are encountering.

aerial558
Not applicable
It has only just started doing this in the last day, it doesn,t do this on the mac i have tryed uninstailling the software and reinstalling clearing out the cookies. checking all the settings and still no luck.
I have also noticed that the space on the f drive is up too the max which is the mobile broadband devices i am talking about i wounder if that has something too do with this problem

lepetitlapin
Not applicable
I get this fairly frequently too. The connection will suddenly decide it doesn't like certain sites and throw up a 500 for a few hours.

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Guys.

We're investigating this, so I'm sending you emails to collect details! If you can please reply to the email, and include the following:

- Does this error occur on 2G / 3G / both network bands?
- Does it happen in all locations you attempt to use it in?
- How long has this been going on for?
- Can you try another browser?
- Any other services other than Google search?
- How often does this happen (occasionally / frequently / most of the time / all the time)?

With this info, I have every faith we can resolve this.

Daz

eForum

2thepoint
Not applicable
I am also getting "HTTP Error 500" when I try to search with Google using IE7 (and now IE8). However I have noticed that I don't get the problem if either:

(a) I connect via Orange 3G and use either IE8 or Firefox

or

(b) I use Firefox with either the Vodafone or Orange connections

This problem has been consitent for the last few days. I don't seem to have a problem directly navigating to sites. It seems that Internet Explorer is doing something that the Vodafone network doesn't like. I've tried changing to public DNS servers but this made no difference. :(

Have others with this problem tried using Firefox? It would be interesting to see if it is only Internet Explorer that shows "HTTP Error 500" when trying to search via Google.

2thepoint
Not applicable
Hi Guys.

We're investigating this, so I'm sending you emails to collect details! If you can please reply to the email, and include the following:

- How often does this happen (occasionally / frequently / most of the time / all the time)?

With this info, I have every faith we can resolve this.

Daz

eForum

Daz,

For clarification, this is what I have observed...

My modem is set for 3G only
Only use it at home (St Albans, Hertfordshire)
I've noticed if for at least 3 days
Yes, Firefox works fine
Not noticed any other problems apart from some pages loading incorrectly but this has been a problem I've had for much longer!
All the time - 100% consistent

I hope this helps.

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi all,

Thanks for the extra info. This is now under investigation with our faults team, and we hope to have a resolution as soon as possible :)

Jon

eForum Team

heady
4: Newbie
Hi Guys.

I've locked the modem to 3G - and therefore, haven't tried. In the next few days I'll have a go and observe the results.

Most if not all my activity is within a short distance of RG224FF so next time I'm out and about I'll have to observe the results.

I've been having 500/503/504 errors since 29th March as initially discussed here: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?show...t=0&start=0

For me - IE, Firefox & Konqueror all show the errors from time to time.

Pick any random web page - static or dynamic. I have not seen any trends against any particular web page type.
Very frequently - the 503/504 errors are about one in 5 page views - the 500 is quite a bit rarer for me.