cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Mobile Broadband - Will A Software Update Change Anything?

alpine*
Not applicable
Hi
I have mobile broadband and it has been suggested I update software to try and improve the poor signal.

If I do this will I need to remove content control again or have new passwords etc, or will it simply overwrite the old version and carry on like usual.

Cheers
10 REPLIES 10

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Alpine*,

I am a little confussed as to what you are refering, is it the firware for the modem or the VMC software?

With any of these the new software will simply replace the old version, you shouldn't need to make any changes with passwords or content restrictions.

James
eForum Team

alpine*
Not applicable

Hi Alpine*,

I am a little confussed as to what you are refering, is it the firware for the modem or the VMC software?

James
eForum Team

Hi James

I don't know what it's for or why there may be two, perhaps you can enlighten me? I downloaded the software from here...
http://www.business.vodafone.com/site/bus/public/enuk/support/10_productsupport/laptop_connectivity/...

Many thanks

alpine*

jarviser
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

Hi James

I don't know what it's for or why there may be two, perhaps you can enlighten me? I downloaded the software from here...
http://www.business..../p_software.jsp

Many thanks

alpine*

Despite what is often quoted on here you can use either version 9 or 10 of that connection software with no changes other than uninstalling the lite version first. I have the latest V10 and it's fine.

However a weak signal is a weak signal and no software will boost it. It's down to distance from the mast squared (i.e. 2x the distance is 4x less signal) and the number of buildings between you and it will soak up signal too.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Alpine*

That's the link for the latest version of VMC. Althought it may appear to be working for jarviser, we don't recommend downloading this as it is not approved for UK users, and therefore there may be some unexpected results.

What the new software may do is resolve any issues with the previous software and therefore allow a more efficient pickup of signal. Apart from being a little patchy, you sould have strong signal in the immediate area of your eForm Profile postcode, so can you confirm for me what level and type of signal you're seeing and what the issue tyou're getting is?

DaveN

eForum Team

alpine*
Not applicable
OK, let me start again.

Somewhere in the FAQ it was suggested I upgrade the software, it didn't say what it was for or where it went only that it may improve the reliability of the signal.
So, would some kind soul direct me to the software I should be using and where I should put it please?

Many thanks

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi alpine*,

Thank you for posting. The latest supported version of VMC (Vodafone Mobile Connect) can be found here: VMC 9.4.6. I'd always recommend that you keep this software up to date as each new version contains all of the fixes for known bugs from previous versions.

Please note that version 10 is available from the same site, and whilst this may work for you, it's currently not officially supported for any Vodafone UK modems, so if you do experience any issues with it, you'd need to re-install version 9.4.6.

George
eForum Team

alpine*
Not applicable
Hi George

Is there a procedure anywhere that guides me through the update process?

Also what sort of distance from the mast should I realistically expect to have a fairly reliable signal? I know there are many variables but do these signals travel several miles or a few hundred meteres?

Many thanks

Retired-Martin
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi alpine*

The download is really easy to follow, and this will help you when you try and install the new software.

The signal will travel for miles, the variables within the range of the signal is where it will get slower, the more that use the signal, the siganl range will decrease and get slower.

Martin
eForum Team

alpine*
Not applicable

Hi alpine*

The signal will travel for miles, the variables within the range of the signal is where it will get slower, the more that use the signal, the siganl range will decrease and get slower.

Martin
eForum Team

Hi Martin

On your coverage checker it says my signal should be very good indoors, I have only ever had a poor or very poor signal yet the mast can be no further than 200 metres away with one house and one tree between us. Would this suggest a problem with the mast?

Thanks