Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Mobile Connect (VMC) - V10.1 & Connecting To The Internet

flipflopperph
2: Seeker
Hi

I have recently purchased a 3rd USB Broadband dongle from Vodafone but I have a problem:

The first 2 dongles I received last year came with Vodafone Mobile Broadband Connect Lite software (version 3.2.2), however this latest dongle came with software version 10.1. The problem with this software is that it will not allow me to connect automatically to the internet when the program is launched (I get ras error code 668). Vodafone have told me that this is a new feature of the software as other users were complaining about their bills being very high because they were logging on automatically.

The problem I have is that the computer this dongle is attached to powers a CCTV camera and resides 40' up a pole, hence I have no access to the computer to connect manually. The computer is set to re-boot at 5am every day and I then need to control it remotely to get the pictures from the camera. In short, it HAS to connect to the internet automatically so I can use it.

I really need to find a way around this problem.

Regards

Paul
12 REPLIES 12

jarviser
15: Advanced member
Can I assume it's the awful ZTE 3570-z?

Despite the warning it is not suitable for UK, try the full variant v10. It's the only full variant that will support the new ZTE. Although I can't test it it seems to have an auto setting (see pic)

You may need to change from prepay to contract then back again and check the APN settings in network 3GB PAYG is PPBUNDLE.INTERNET and I think contract APN is INTERNET

If it's not the ZTE there's the v9.4.6 version

Can't test any of this for you as I use Netgear router for my VF 3G which may be another expensive option for you.

Or there's always Ubuntu which can be set to auto start any mobile bb connection without any software.

flipflopperph

Can I assume it's the awful ZTE 3570-z?

Despite the warning it is not suitable for UK, try the full variant v10. It's the only full variant that will support the new ZTE. Although I can't test it it seems to have an auto setting (see pic)

You may need to change from prepay to contract then back again and check the APN settings in network 3GB PAYG is PPBUNDLE.INTERNET and I think contract APN is INTERNET

If it's not the ZTE there's the v9.4.6 version

Can't test any of this for you as I use Netgear router for my VF 3G which may be another expensive option for you.

Or there's always Ubuntu which can be set to auto start any mobile bb connection without any software.

Hi

Thanks for the advice. It's actually the K4505 which is the latest stick they have as far as I'm aware. I don't belive the problem is with the stick, it's with the later realeases of the mobile broadband software. I have tried to toggle between the prepay and contract options on Vodafone's advice but that made no difference either. Vodafone themselves told me that it's a setting in the new software to stop users loggin on automatically.

I suppose what I need to do is install an early version of the lite software on the computer, then disable the auto install of the later software when I plug in the stick. Do you / anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks

Paul

jarviser

Hi

Thanks for the advice. It's actually the K4505 which is the latest stick they have as far as I'm aware. I don't belive the problem is with the stick, it's with the later realeases of the mobile broadband software. I have tried to toggle between the prepay and contract options on Vodafone's advice but that made no difference either. Vodafone themselves told me that it's a setting in the new software to stop users loggin on automatically.

I suppose what I need to do is install an early version of the lite software on the computer, then disable the auto install of the later software when I plug in the stick. Do you / anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks

Paul

Like I said, instead of the lite software, use the full variant version of the connect software from the business site which seems to have the auto-connect option as per my thumbnail. Which version number you decide on is up to you but the new full V 10 seems to work despite the warning. I doubt if ols lite software will tun the new dongles.

See this thread for my suggestions about how to install etc. At least try it! Staff will be bound by company policy where advice is concerned, amateur contributors are not so bound.

flipflopperph

Like I said, instead of the lite software, use the full variant version of the connect software from the business site which seems to have the auto-connect option as per my thumbnail. Which version number you decide on is up to you but the new full V 10 seems to work despite the warning. I doubt if ols lite software will tun the new dongles.

See this thread for my suggestions about how to install etc. At least try it! Staff will be bound by company policy where advice is concerned, amateur contributors are not so bound.

I've done that already, upgraded to the full version (not lite) of Mobile Broadband from the website - exactly the same problem. It seems that all versions of lite and full now include this security feature where you can't connect automatically. I have tried it on 2 laptops and 1 desktop so I don't think its hardware incompatibility. Be very intreested to know whether anyone else can connect automatically using v10 or above of either the lite or full software? Thanks again

jarviser

I've done that already, upgraded to the full version (not lite) of Mobile Broadband from the website - exactly the same problem. It seems that all versions of lite and full now include this security feature where you can't connect automatically. I have tried it on 2 laptops and 1 desktop so I don't think its hardware incompatibility. Be very intreested to know whether anyone else can connect automatically using v10 or above of either the lite or full software? Thanks again

Yes I have - I thought I gave you enough lead with my thumbnail picture. However I got my dongle down from the attic and tested this for you.

In V10 full version run the VMC and when ready to connect in Standard mode click on Advanced (RH side)
Advanced mode gives various options.
First click on the "pylon" symbol and in Options make sure that the startup option says "Start this application as normal when Windows starts"

OK, then back in Advanced click on the Priorities tab.
Click on Add Settings (blue plus sign)
A panel with three tabs will appear including General, Network and Security
Check in the Network tab that the APN is correct for you
In General tab, in the Connection Behaviour panel there is a radio button against Prompt - Click on Automatic instead.
OK that
You should find a new set of options with "Vodafone UK custom settings 01" with the radio button dotted.

I can't find any way to "Save" the new settings but if you shut down Windows whilst still in VMC it seems to save it.

When Windows is rebooted it should go through the following sequence (In Standard mode)...
Searching for Device ... detected...
Searching for Network .... detected
Then soon after it will say "Connected"

Give it a go and let me know how it was for you.

jarviser

Yes I have - I thought I gave you enough lead with my thumbnail picture. However I got my dongle down from the attic and tested this for you.

In V10 full version run the VMC and when ready to connect in Standard mode click on Advanced (RH side)
First click on the "pylon" symbol and in Options make sure that the startup option says "Start this application as normal when Windows starts"

In General tab, in the Connection Behaviour panel there is a radio button against Prompt - Click on Automatic instead.
OK that
You should find a new set of options with "Vodafone UK custom settings 01" with the radio button dotted.

I can't find any way to "Save" the new settings but if you shut down Windows whilst still in VMC it seems to save it.

When Windows is rebooted it should go through the following sequence (In Standard mode)...

There is another advantage in that it will re-connect automatically if the signal is lost.

Disadvantage is you probably need to close VMC to disconnect because if you simply click on disconnect it automatically reconnects again!
I'll let you play with that one.

flipflopperph

OK that

Thanks again but still no luck. I don't have the option to change connection behaviour on the general tab within priorities, it doesn't exist for me (i've attached a pdf of the screenshot). Maybe this is the problem?? I'm using VMC Lite v10.1

Paul

jarviser

Thanks again but still no luck. I don't have the option to change connection behaviour on the general tab within priorities, it doesn't exist for me (i've attached a pdf of the screenshot). Maybe this is the problem?? I'm using VMC Lite v10.1

Paul

Not the Lite - you need the full-variant V10 downloaded from the business site

Thoroughly uninstall the lite and drivers as per the thread link I gave you earlier in this thread.

It does work, I tried it again earlier.

flipflopperph

Not the Lite - you need the full-variant V10 downloaded from the business site

Thoroughly uninstall the lite and drivers as per the thread link I gave you earlier in this thread.

It does work, I tried it again earlier.

RESOLUTION!

Thanks. I downloaded the full version and it initially came up with the same error. However, one point you made solved the problem. I needed to restart the PC with the software still running, only then would it connect automatically after the PC rebooted. When I closed the software prior to restart, it would not connect automatically upon restart (even though Always Best Connected was set to automatic). Seems like a glitch to me!

The frustrating thing about this is that I've made 4 calls to Vodafone in the last 4 days and each time they simply told me the problem was that the dongle no longer had the functionality to connect automatically, there was no mention of not shutting down the software prior to reboot, they were obviously oblivious to the problem.

Thanks again for all your help.

Paul