cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Mobile Wi-Fi - Is it better than mobile broadband?

Ciaran1
4: Newbie
I have a mobile broadband account - the only broadband in my house. But the signal isnt great except in certain areas of the house. It tends to switch between 3g and GPRS which cuts internet connection and i have to continually stop connection and re-connect

What im wondering is if i get one of these mobile wifi devices can i put my mobile broadband sim in that - place the device at the best signal spot and then use wifi wherever in the house with a great signal?

Has anyone tried it?
2 REPLIES 2

jarviser
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

I have a mobile broadband account - the only broadband in my house. But the signal isnt great except in certain areas of the house. It tends to switch between 3g and GPRS which cuts internet connection and i have to continually stop connection and re-connect

What im wondering is if i get one of these mobile wifi devices can i put my mobile broadband sim in that - place the device at the best signal spot and then use wifi wherever in the house with a great signal?

Has anyone tried it?

I have a mains 3G router (see link ) which I have in the loft - unfortunately I had to buy an old E220 from ebay as the modern dongles are not supported by that router. The edimax may do.

If you have a good signal area in the house then any remote device that will put the antenna in a better place will help. You will need a device that will either take a Vodafone SIM or will take the dongle in question. Some dongles like the E160E will take an outside aerial, but you are getting expensive then.

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hello Ciaran1 and thanks for posting.

As pointed out by Jarviser any device capable of picking up a 3G signal with added 'portability'.

The unique thing about these devices is that they do not require you to be near your PC/laptop, so you can broadcast the wifi signal from a window sill, very effective if you have 3G hotspots in your house.

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team