Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

k3772 dongle issues with windows 8 !

binks199
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

i have recently got myself a vodafone k3772 dongle but i cannot connect to the internet, i have a hp laptop running windows 8.

the dongle gets signal and connects but has limited connection.

i have used the same dongle in 2 other laptops and it works in both of them, one running xp and the other running vista.

someone please help me !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi,

thanks for that download, its worked a treat !

thanks once again guys

View solution in original position

35 REPLIES 35

Just out of interest, what model of HP latop do you have, Hughwkr?

It would be great if you could let us know.

Thanks in advance.

Sir, i m using Samsung Series 5:NP550P5C laptop having Windows 8 OS. I have only recently bought a K3772 vodafone dongle which does not set up. How should i go about the whole thing as i am quite unaware of the whole process.

It will be really kind of u to send me the latest version of VMB (Vodafone Mobile Broadband) software via email in earnest which will contain the latest drivers for the K3772 modem.

headcheese
16: Advanced member

Hello.

You can download the latest version of VOdafone Mobile Broadband from here.

All you shoudl have to do is download, extract and run the software linked to above. Then plug in your K3772. You can either then connect via the Vodafone Mobile Broadband software in desktop mode, or via charms (swipe in fromt he right, or put your mouse pointer in the bottom right hand corner of the screen), settings (looks like a cog), Vodafone icon and then connect.

If it doesn't work let us know what happens, any error messgaes you get, what the light on the USB modem is doing and we shoudl be able to offer further assistance.

Cheers,

HC

I have the problem as well but my one it's Win XP , it said '' Ensure there is no another application using the device '' 

tried to connect with the connection that I have created but still not work,  any idea?

headcheese

If it is another applciation that's trying to use the USB modem then it might be worth trying a cleaan boot (instructions here ) as this stops applcaitions runnign on start up that might interfere with your mobile connection.

How did you create the connection?

Which APN did you configure the conenciton to use?

Can you see the K3772 listed in your device manager?

Have you installed Vodafoen Mobile Broadband? (you need to do this to get the device drivers instaleld as they aren't included in Windows 8).

If you could let us know then we can probably offer some furthe radvice shoudl the clean boot not have any effect.

Cheers

HC

Sorry, just noticed you're uisng XP and not Win 8.

All of the above still applies, and also do you know which version of Vodafone Mobile Broadband you have installed?

Thank you for reply, 

I did try a clean boot following the instruction but it didn't make any different, I m not sure what version of the Vodem but I installed a driver which was got from the vodafone website. I use APN : PP.VODAFONE.CO.UK  ,  Dial No. *99# and I did try this *99***1# as well but still no luck. 

headcheese

Hi,

Ok, it sounds like you are using Windows dial up networking to connect, rather than the Vodafone Mobile Broadband conenction manager. It might be worth downloading and installing Vodafone Mobile Broadband as this will have all the relevant drivers, conneciton profiles etc. You can get it here.Check the release notes and make sure that your device (if you're not using a K3772) is listed as a compatible device before installing, though.

Also check that your device is installed properly. I'm guessing that you're using a K3772, although if it's a different model of USB modem it woudl be good if you could let us know. If you are using the K3772, then in your device manager you should be able to see:

Under DVD/CD-ROM: Vodafone CD ROM/ Huawei USB device

Under Modems: Vodafone Mobile Broadband Modem (Huawei)

Under Ports (COM & LPT): Vodafone Mobile Broadband Diagnostics Port (Huawei) (COM x) and Vodafone Mobile Broadband Secondary Port Modem (Huawei) (COM x)

Under system devices: Vodafoen Mobile Broadband - Extra control device

Under Universal serial bus controllers: 5 x Vodafone related devices

If you haven't got all of the above then your K3772 isn't installe dproperly and isn't going to work. Getting the Vodafone Mobile Broadband software linked to above is probably the best idea.

If you have got everything installed properly then right click on the Vodafone Mobile Broadband Modem (Huawei) entry (under modems)

Click properties

Click advanced

In the extra modem initialisation commands you'll need to have:

at+cgdcont=1,"IP","APN"

But you'll need to replace the letters APN with the APN name that's enabled on your account.

The APN is effectively the gateway on the mobile network that you connect to. The APN that is available to you needs to be enabled on your account within the mobile network. The APN needs to be defined in either the Vodafone Mobile Broadband software or the modem properties within in Windows, as this defines what your K3772 will try and connect to. What's enabled on your account within the mobile network defines what you can connect to. The two need to match to make a successful connection.

All of the Vodafone UK APNs can be found here:

But for that list to be relevant you need to be using a Vodafone UK sim. As you refer to the device as a "Vodem" it suggests that you're not from the UK and purchased the device abroad (I think this is what the USB modems are referred to in Germany). So if you're not using a Vodafone UK sim then the APN list linked to above won't help you. To find out which APN you have enabled on your account you'd need to contact the network that the sim you're using in your K3772 belongs to, to find out. Ask them for the APN, username and password. Once you've got the APN then modify the AT+CGDCONT string detailed above accordingly. So for example if they tell you that the APN enabled on your account is GIANT-MONKEY-RAGE then you need to change the AT+CGDCONT string to:

at+cgdcont=1,"IP","GIANT-MONKEY-RAGE"

If they tell you that the APN you have enabled on your account is MY-BRAIN-REALLY-HURTS  then you need to change the AT+CGDCONT string to:

at+cgdcont=1,"IP","MY-BRAIN-REALLY-HURTS"

So once you've got the right initialisation string in the advanced modem properties  (and the APN must be correct, otherwise you won't be able to connect).

Create a dial up networking connection:

Go to Start Menu, Control Panel, Network Connections and select Create a new Connection

Choose "Connect to the Internet"

Select "Set up my Connection Manually"

Select "Connect Using Dial-up Modem"

Ensure the USB Modem is selected/ticked (and nothing else)

ISP Name is the name for the connection (a name of your choice)

Enter the Phone number:  *99***1#

Username & Password = web & web (or the user name and password required for the Access Point Name)

Click "Finish" to complete.

As before, the username and password mentioned above are for Vodafone UK APNs, so if you're not using a UK sim then it's time to peak to whoever you got the sim from.

If all of that doesn't work then please can you answer the following questions:

What are the first 4 numbers on the sim card you are using?

What's the model of modem you have (it will be written on the back of it and probably starts with the letter K)

What do you have in your device manager that's associated with the modem?

Does a light come on on your modem when you plug it in to your computer? If  so what colour is it?

What happens when you try to connect?

So if you're still havign problems, please answer the questions above and we will see what we can do to ehlp further.

Cheers

HC

Hi

Thank you for your long post.

I did try the step that you given me it's still not work. When I click dial and it tried to connect then it said

"error 619: A connection to the remote computer could not be established ...........................  "

Here is all the answer  for your question.

Q.What's the model of modem you have?

A. It is K3772 Model.

Q. What do you have in your device manager that's associated with the modem?

A. I got everything as you mention in the post:

Under DVD/CD-ROM: Vodafone CD ROM/ Huawei USB device

Under Modems: Vodafone Mobile Broadband Modem (Huawei)

Under Ports (COM & LPT): Vodafone Mobile Broadband Diagnostics Port (Huawei) (COM x) and Vodafone  Mobile Broadband Secondary Port Modem (Huawei) (COM x)

Under system devices: Vodafoen Mobile Broadband - Extra control device

Under Universal serial bus controllers: 5 x Vodafone related devices

Q. Does a light come on on your modem when you plug it in to your computer? If  so what colour is it?

A. There is no any light when I plug it in to my laptop.

Q. What happens when you try to connect?

A. like the error  said as above  Error 619 : A connection......

That 's wierd thoug with the Win 7 that I had try it works fine but I had to use with the window connection but I don't understand with Win XP what's different?

About the APN sometime when I have a look in Vodafone Mobile broadband software it said  SMART sometime it said PP.VODAFONE.CO.UK  I'm wondering which is the right one. I did try both but neither of them work.

I hope all my answer will guide you to help me.  Thank you for your help.  

Sorry I forgot to asnwer the first Q.

Q. What are the first 4 numbers on the sim card you are using?

A. Sim ID: 8944xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sim  Number : 0755xxxxxxx

Thank you.