cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

mobile broadband - Can I get a UK Dongle to use in Egypt?

aquariusv
Not applicable
I'm going to Mersa Metruh in Egypt, on the med coast shortly. The hotel internet costs are expensive, can I buy a dongle in the UK which will work in my netbook in Egypt?
1 REPLY 1

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Aquariusv, welcome to the eForum!

You certainly can get a dongle you can use abroad. Keep in mind though that you would be subject to roaming data costs.

You can click here to see Vodafone's roaming data prices - as you can see, Egypt qualifies as "rest of the world", meaning that the charge would be £29.99 for 50MB a day.

Unless you opt out, you'd also find yourself subject to the data roaming cap, which is at £34 excluding VAT and would stop you spending any more on data for the rest of the billing cycle.

You may therefore find it cheaper to look into alternate options, for example you may find the hotel's connection will be cheaper, and remember that if you use WiFi, the only charges are those the provider imposes for connecting.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours - I'd just recommend ensuring that you look carefully into costs before committing.

DaveN

eForum Team