Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

mobile data SIM top up

brenduggan123
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a data sim card located 200 miles away which sends me info from some machinery (a wind turbine). There is no phone with this SIM card so its not possible to set up an account as this requires me to receive a text on a phone. I want to top up and have managed to do so through the vodafone website but I think it did a phone rather than data top up as the signal is still not working. Impossible to get through to someone working for Vodafone, any suggestions welcome. Thanks 

16 REPLIES 16

Desktop version? I'm using a PC........? 

Sorry I was adding a screen grab when you posted. 

Im using an iPad Air so you should be seeing what I've added in regarding the picture. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your help, I'm afraid that takes me to the vodafone.co.uk/contac-us/index.htm  web page .....

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

Looking at the screen grab which @BandOfBrothers posted, do you see the green and grey Start Live Chat button when you go to the Contact page and choose PAYG? Is that just re-cycling, and giving you a further Contact page?

I hate suggesting this, because I hate doing it, but have you tried clearing cache, cookies etc? The Vodafone website seems to be rather prone to "trapped errors", and clearing cache etc often works wonders.

I actually just tried that (I'll grumble to myself for days...) to see if I could get Lee's link working, but no. Though my own seems to work regardless.

Leaving this aside, have you been able to check your balance via 03333 048048? It would be nice if we could get something to work for you!

Annie

many thanks for sticking with this for me. I used an ipad instead and the live chat button was right there at the bottom right, and I've just started chatting live. So fingers crossed I think it will be ok. I really appreciate your persevering with me, I hope you get something out of this....?

Good to hear your iPad is allowing access.  

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N

@brenduggan123

I do hope Live Chat was able to help you yesterday evening. It did occur to me later in the evening to wonder if they'd struggle with sorting out DPA clearance for you, as they usually use the PIN and memorable word that you're asked to create when you set up an online account.

The more I think about it, the more I feel you need to "borrow" the SIM from the turbine for long enough to go through the registration process. It would make things so much easier in the long run if you could view your account, see how your balance is going, possibly adjust the product(s) you're opted in to. It doesn't have to be put in a smartphone, any unlocked or Vodafone-locked phone will do, as you won't need the data side of things, just to receive texts with a security code. It doesn't require voice capability, which is a good thing, as we're not 100% sure whether it's a data or phone SIM - at least, we weren't sure last night!

If this is feasible, the process is to go to http://www.vodafone.co.uk/myvodafone/faces/home and choose the Register option. You'd need to receive a security code once, possibly twice, during the process, but you are asked to give the number, then choose a username, email address (which must be different from any other accounts you may have with Vodafone), specify PIN and memorable word, and you also get the opportunity to add your address and some alternative contact numbers - and these are the key to future access to your account, once the SIM is safely back in the turbine.

You can enter two alternatives, and one should be your regular UK mobile number. The other can be any standard UK mobile number, or even a landline, as there is some clever trick for converting the SMS to a voicetext. Then, to state the obvious, check that the correct numbers are being offered when you want to log in to your account, and adjust them if necessary, before putting the SIM back in place.

Good luck with it all!