Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

mobile data usage

Cookie1066
3: Seeker
Slightly annoyed as vodafone txt me to say ive gone over my data usage and are charging me £6 for an extra 250mb.. yet when i check my usage ( with the vodafone app)im still within my 500mb limit.. and the crazy thing is my mobile data is always switched off and only breifly used to check emails once a day, the rest of the time im on wifi
16 REPLIES 16

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

If you turn Off 'Mobile Data' in Settings it wouldn't connect to the Networks Data. 

What are you using ?

Some devices have internal data monitors. 

If You feel something is not tallying up then please do speak to Customer service. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

63johnw
Hi, the app can also be 72 hours behind actual time for your data usage.

Cookie1066
My mobile data has been switched off manually in settings since 4g rolled out in my area as it eats data like mofo, barely any apps insatlled on my phone .. and before 4g i never switched off mobile data and was never even close to using half my 500gb allowance

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

My experience is that 4G connection does not use more data than a 3G connection. 

Its more of a case that as I can do more faster I'm online longer. 

I choose not to restrict my phones location services etc so am pretty much online most of the time. When I'm at home I turn to Wifi and turn off Mobile Data as my iPhone can auto switch to Network data if my wifi dips or if my screen times out it can switch in the background. 

I do not use more data per month on 4G. 

Current Phone  >

Cookie1066
I understand that 4g should not use any more data, and in theory just be faster.. but this problem only started after 4 g became available to me. I know im not alone in this because i have read plenty of posts with other people saying they have the same issue. Im probally using my mobile data for around 15 mins per day. And thats purley for emails and quick browsing during lunch break.

BandOfBrothers

Im in no way refuting what you say and I respect others opinions on this. 

In your emails are their any attachments as these can use more data. 

Different pages of Internet will use different amounts of data to download depending on how rich the content is. 

Do you use Social media - Auto play for example can use more data. 

When you turn your phone on it could be using location services in the background to update for example weather apps. 

Apps updating in the background etc. Sometimes it's an idea to close down apps when not in use because if left they sit in a suspended state and can still work in the background. If you don't close them then the phone would only flush them if it needs ram. 

Current Phone  >

Cookie1066
Thanks bandofbrothers, i understand what your saying and appreciate your help, only a few apps installed and no weather updates or gps switched on. Literally the only thing that changed was 4g rolling out.. if i just leave mobile data switched on and do not use the internet etc.. my allowance still vanishes

BandOfBrothers

Its my pleasure. 

If you want let's try to see what could be using your data in the background. You do not need to be actively using the Internet on your phone for Data to be used. 

Which device are you using ?

Which Apps do you have ?

Current Phone  >

63johnw

Hi, 500 m is not a lot of data these days, as BOB has said auto update of apps in the background, auto run of videos on Facebook and Twitter can use a lot of data, have you checked to see if you are automatically backing up data/photos to a cloud service? What is your phone saying in the data monitoring side about which apps are using data?