Support:

HTC One series

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
WirralMick

Constant upload/download problem

And so the problems begin, got my phone a couple of days ago, when in normal hspa/3g data mode (wifi off), every couple of seconds there seems to be a small upload/download, I have turned off all background data but it keeps doing it, its also not showing on the data tracking app so i'm thinking it might be just checking to see if there is a signal, whatever it is it's eating my battery stupid fast, any ideas?
Message 1 of 16 (4,673 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Re: Constant upload/download problem

Hi WirralMick and welcome to the eForum

Thanks for your post here.

Using 3G itself will consume your battery faster than using 2G. Are you sure that it’s simply the fact that you are using 3G that is causing your battery drain?

Do you have any apps open in the background at all? If so, try closing them and checking again.

How are you seeing the small upload/download if it’s not showing in your tracking app?

Thanks

Wayne

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 16 (4,655 Views)
WirralMick

No background apps open no, it does it as soon as I turn the phone on. In the notifications bar at the top, it shows a 'H' with an up and a down arrow underneath it signifying the upload/download activity when they are lit. Every few seconds it changes from 'H' to '3G' and back, each change coming with the arrows lighting up as if its searching for and confirming the connection. I'm in an area of good signal and continues when I move to other areas?
Message 3 of 16 (4,652 Views)
Tech Team
Simon

Hi WirralMick

The up and down arrows underneath the '3G' and 'H' icons do confirm that the connection is in use however it doesn't necessarily imply that the phone is actually using data. If the data tracking is not picking up on this usage then there is little to no data usage being used at all.

I'd just keep an eye on your usage via My Account. I'd also recommend downloading our free My Vodafone app to track your usage although this wouldn't necessarily show your usage straight away and you may have to wait for your next billing date to track it.

If you do notice a lot of anomalies in your data usage please let us know.

Thanks

Simon

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 16 (4,629 Views)
WirralMick

I think it may be something to do with either the phone triangulating its location via cell towers or a problem with holding a data connection hence the flicking between modes, my HTC Desire on Vodafone never had this problem, hopefully it'll be fixed in an update.
Message 5 of 16 (4,626 Views)
WirralMick

Anybody else having the same problem?
Message 6 of 16 (4,620 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

[ Edited ]

Right I can see what's happening here 

Any physical  down loads show on the top left of your screen 

If your in a H area you will get two arrows and they do flash this is the same as a pc does 

all it is, is a hand shack going on and keeps you logged in to the Arial that your on 

Now other HTC devices just show a "H" or 3G 

Now if you are worried you can download 3G watchdog  but you have a data moniotor build in or there should be as ICS has one this will show what is going on 

There is nothing to worry about and it uses 0.000002 of a meg 

Message 7 of 16 (4,593 Views)
WirralMick

Yeah its not the data i'm concerned about, it does the handshake with the H, then 2 seconds later with the 3g, then 2 seconds later with the H and so forth, this I believe is wasting the battery
Message 8 of 16 (4,584 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

WirralMick wrote:
Yeah its not the data i'm concerned about, it does the handshake with the H, then 2 seconds later with the 3g, then 2 seconds later with the H and so forth, this I believe is wasting the battery

its sounds like were you live is on the edge of a H signal this will cause when the signal drops for it to then switch to 3G 

It this at your House ?

Message 9 of 16 (4,553 Views)
WirralMick

Work, but it seems to do it everywhere
Message 10 of 16 (4,548 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
Xan245

Hi WirralMick

This morning at work I noticed exactly what you describe with the switching between 3G and H. I don't think its using much if any data doing so (at least not according to 3G Watchdog) but as to how much extra battery it's consuming I have no idea.

I'm fairly certain that my Desire HD had better all round signal and no switching from 3G to H every few seconds, hopefully it's something that can be fixed in an OTA update

Message 11 of 16 (4,533 Views)
WirralMick

At last! Somebody else sharing the same problem! My Desire didn't have the problem either, its just this! Fingers crossed for that OTA update!
Message 12 of 16 (4,530 Views)
Xan245

Mine seems to have settled on H at 4/5 bars which was usual for my Desire, this is a most peculiar phenomenon, I'll pay closer attention to it when I am back home and see if it flips back & forth there

Message 13 of 16 (4,524 Views)
Xan245

Ok here's what I have;

At home;

Desire HD - tends to switch between 3G and E depending on where in the house the phone is but stable

One S - anything between nothing, G, and E

At work;

Desire HD - Constant H with 4 or 5 of 5 bars

One S - mainly sits on H with 3 or 4 of 5 bars though flicks to 3G (not as bad as the other day, prehaps now every 20 - 30 seconds or so

WirralMick - are you noticing any change in the flicking from H to 3G and back like I am?

Message 14 of 16 (4,505 Views)
WirralMick

Yes, this is exactly my problem, constant flicking between 3G/H, I reckon its taking a good 10%+ off the battery, i've tried allsorts to no avail and it appears we're going to have to wait for a software update, there's usually one out a couple of months after the release of a new phone. I've contacted HTC about this, i'll let you know what they say
Message 15 of 16 (4,498 Views)
Xan245

For me the battery life seems significantly better than the Desire HD despite this flicking issue, I saw over in the One X forum that they've already had some sort of firmware update, hopefully we'll be next and fairly soon

Message 16 of 16 (4,477 Views)