Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One M8 Notification LED

guyw
4: Newbie

I have had my M8 for just over a week now and I love it.  I do however have a problem with the notification LED on the front of the phone not working when I receive a text message or similar.  So far I have done the following:

Gone to Settings > Display and gestures > Notification light and ensured that all of the boxes are ticked

Opened HTC Guide, clicked Support > Phone Health (Diagnostics) > Hardware diagnostics > LED test and the test runs successfully

Booted the phone into Safe Mode and run the LED diagnostic test which was successful

When the phone is charging the LED is orange and stays on (although dimmer than I would have expected) and when the battery is fully charged the LED is green and steady (again dimmer than I would have expected).

When I lock my phone and the screen is off and I send myself a text message from another phone I can hear that the message is received but the notification LED never lights up.

I have Googled this problem and it has been reported by other people and some have managed to resolve it by performing a factory reset of the phone and then resinstalling apps one by one rather than using the automated restore function.  I am very reluctant to do this if there is an alternative method to fix this as it has taken me hours to get the phone set up and working the way that I want it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I did the reset last night and manually reinstalled the apps from the Play store rather than alowing the automated restore process to run and it has fixed the problem.  The LED now appears to be working normally.  The only downside is the whole process took 2.5 hours :smileyfrustrated:

View solution in original position

18 REPLIES 18

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi guyw,

I have the HTC One M8 and I've not seen this personally. The notification light stops flashing after five minutes by design.

I'd recommend a factory reset to rule out a software bug. If you back everything up, it'll be pretty quick to restore again. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben

Post edited with correct information.

Thanks, I think I'm going to have to try the reset and see how I get on.  Could you tell me where the setting is to extend the amount of time that the notification light flashes for as I can't seem to find that?

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi guyw,

I must have had brain freeze earlier. My apologies; the LED light flash is set to five minutes by design. HTC have also confirmed this for me and I've corrected my post above to show this.

There are third party apps available that let you extend notification times. While I'm not allowed to mention specific ones, a search for 'LED Reminder' will bring up a few for you to consider. :Winking_smiley:

Cheers, Ben 

I did the reset last night and manually reinstalled the apps from the Play store rather than alowing the automated restore process to run and it has fixed the problem.  The LED now appears to be working normally.  The only downside is the whole process took 2.5 hours :smileyfrustrated:

barbs1961
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I got my htc one m8 over a month ago and cant get the notification led to work wen get messages/emails/etc

i have done a hard reset which is long and drawn out and takes ages as per htc advice. and still dosent work.

it lights up orange wen charging, green when charged and flashes when battery is low so why wont it work on above? i have gone into settings to tick relevant boxs even done the device check says it ok ...any ideas or is this a big issue ? thank you

Hi barbs1961,

To clarify, have you gone into Settings>Display & gestures>Notification light? You'd need to ensure that all the boxes are ticked there.

If that's what you were referring to, try turning them all off, reset your phone then switch them all back on. This has been known to fix the issue.

If that's still not working, we can get the phone repaired for you.

Thanks,

Matt B

thanks for your reply tried it but still not working. do i take it to vodaphone shop to get looked at? is this a known fault as i have read up on it and seems to be

thanks for your help

Hi barbs1961,

All the information you need can be found on the link that Matt B posted.

Thanks

Wayne

The guy in the Vodafone store told me that this is a known problem with this phone and that there is nothing that can be done. He said that a fix might be included in a future update.

I have had to just get used to turning in the screen to check for messages. It's a pain but I suppose that's what I get for not staying loyal to Samsung.