Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One Sending strange texts

Kippaxman
2: Seeker

My HTC One has starting sending texts to 33819253539035 at random intervals. I first noticed it on my statements in February, and it has since sent 7 more.

I am being charged 25p for each of these texts (none of which I have sent) despite having unlimited texts on my plan

Can anyone help?

Thanks

35 REPLIES 35

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

I reckon that you ahve unintentionally installed an app on your phone that is sending out those texts from your phone.  They will be charged for as that isn't a standard UK number and your unlimited texts are only to standard UK numbers.

Now, take a look at your app list and see if any of the apps you have installed look a bit "odd" and if so, uninstall them. That will be the easiest way of getting rid of the app.

PWIAC

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

If the problem persists after that, you may need to do a full factory reset as this could be something that's lurking further in the background.

janeleckebusch
4: Newbie

I am getting exactly the same: three texts to this same number in Feb/March, and another on my latest bill.
I contacted Vodafone and they took a lot of persuading that I hadn't actually sent these texts (which are apparently to France, US or Canada), because they definitely appear to have been sent from my phone.  This is not possible though, not least because it has a PIN which I change and keep secret.
On 16th March, Vodafone said they would put all this on my notes and investigate it.  I called them today after the same issue on my new bill, but there is no record on my notes of the previous conversation, so I had to explain it all again. Very frustrating! Again they have said they will look into it...
According to a quick internet search, others are having this problem with texts to this number appearing to have been made, though they haven't.
Going to my local Vodafone shop tomorrow, but not feeling hopeful.....:(

Hi janeleckebusch

Please take a look at the second post and third post in this thread as you can more than likely resolve the issue yourself.

PWIAC

Not sure how I missed the other two messages...
I actually had my mobile stolen last week, so now have a new handset and SIM, (though same number), so hope that may sort it?  I have installed most of the same Apps though, but these are all common, popular Apps, and I have (and had!) antivirus on the phone.
Thanks for our help anyway...

paulvolvo7

Hi,

I have had the same charge on my account. I have a Samsung S3.

I contacted vodaphone and they said my account will be credited with the 25p.

I feel that if this is happening frequently, Vodafone need to do something about this.

Good luck,

Paul.

Jebelious

Anti virus will not necessarily pick up the fact that an application that you have installed is a malicious one and is performing in this way. If you notice that this is happening to you then remove all non essential applications straight away and install them again one at a time. It would probably be useful to put on here what applications you have installed and maybe do a search on them to see if anyone else has experienced these issues.

Anti virus companies have now even admitted that prevention is now not always possible and its about damage limitation when it comes to the sorts of attacks that happen.

If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below

Hello again!

I have just received my latest bill and there are two more texts to this same random number.  Grrrr!!!
I had really hoped that the fact I have a new handset and SIM (after having my previous phone stolen) would sort this problem once and for all.
Apart from the preinstalled Apps, I have added the following: Amazon, Ebay, Google Translate, MapmyRun, Cloud FastConnect, Dropbox, Expedia, LondonTubeMap, McAfee Security, GoogleEarth, MetOffice, OneCast, KKMusic, BBCNews, HolyBibleNIV, Accuweather, AVG Antivirus, NQ Antivirus, Messenger, MyVodafone, Ringtone Maker.
All these seem to be behaving fine to me........but if any of you other people suffering the same problem, have any of theses apps in common, it might be worth comparing notes......

This is a long shot, but I don't know what else to do.  Would returning to factory settings, be any different from getting a totally new phone (with same number) which is what I have done????

Sorry if I'm being stupid about this....I am not technical, and am really fed up with this, and appeciate all the help  I can get!!

Tank you  :Laughing_Face:

Yes, I am expereincing the same issue. Text messages being sent to this number 33819253539035 for the past few months. I have removed my apps apart from google, youtube, FB all others have been removed.

I do not know what to do? Has someone hacked into my phone?