Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One and BBC Media Player

polymnio
4: Newbie

Hi,

I'm loving my HTC One, but have just encountered a problem with viewing live BBC TV using the BBC Media Player app.

I can watch "catch up" programmes without any problem, but whenever I try to watch a live programme, I get sound but no picture. Plus, when I try to back out of the app, by pressing the "Home" button, I get a message reporting that the BBC Media Player is not responding, offering close/wait/cancel options.

According to the BBC iPlayer support page, there are certain handsets with known issues, but HTC One isn't one of them.

Any ideas?

Snowboarding/skiing, etc. just isn't the same in audio only 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good news about improved battery life. I'll look forward to that...

Especially, now that I'll be watching so much live telly. An update, delivered this morning, seems to have cured the misfiring BBC Media Player.

Glad to hear that 4.4 shakes-down OK with you. I wonder what these mysterious issues are – HTC aren't saying.

Fingers crossed for an early resolution to your Sky Sports woes.

View solution in original position

20 REPLIES 20

polymnio

Post Script:

Having trawled through umpteen negative reviews on Google Play, it seems that the problem with BBC Media Player is widespread.

Apparently, the Beeb have been forced to create the app after Adobe have pulled out of Flash for Android in the UK.

The new app comprises Adobe Air and is clearly still "work in progress".

I have exactly the same issue.

It was working fine until about a month ago. The last Iplayer update made no difference.

Oh well. It's nice to know that I'm not alone.

Interesting, though.

The problem seems to be with the separate "Media Player" rather than the "iPlayer" app.

I think I'll see if the Beeb have anything to say on the subject.

bmcjpc

Hi

had the same problem until I upgraded to Kitkat 4.4 now works all the time

good luck 

Great news! Thanks bmcjpc!

However, looks like the roll-out of Kitkat 4.4.2 has stalled, somewhat:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2332068/htc-one-android-442-kitkat-suspended-due-to-difficu...

thats a shame i dont think i have any issues with 4.4 only plus points (was on 4.3)

much better and i meam much better battery life!!

online streams working fine on several apps and internet

I just need to sort out my problem with the crappy sky sports mobile tv app that still not been solved

such poor customer service from vodafone

Good news about improved battery life. I'll look forward to that...

Especially, now that I'll be watching so much live telly. An update, delivered this morning, seems to have cured the misfiring BBC Media Player.

Glad to hear that 4.4 shakes-down OK with you. I wonder what these mysterious issues are – HTC aren't saying.

Fingers crossed for an early resolution to your Sky Sports woes.

Hi, I'm having this problem at the moment. I have all software up to date but I wanted to watch the football last night and all I got was a black screen with sound. May as well have listened to the radio, least the commentary is better on that. I tried uninstalling both iPlayer and the Media Player and still no luck.

:smileysad:

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Have you been able to get it working since?  There's a possibility that the issues you were having related to demand for the service rather than a problem with the app or the device...