Support:

HTC One series

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
arranchallanger

Micro sim & 3G/HSDPA

I see from the top post that some HTC One X customers received their phones with regular sim cards and not micro sim cards.

I was one of them - obviously too excited on the day and followed the simple instructions to cut the sim down to size. No problem it all works. However i have been having problems with the phone switching between 3G and HSDPA... in that it seems to get stuck on 3G for ages (20/30 seconds) or stuck permenantly and when on 3G does not want to download data.

In a nutshell when it does flick over to HSDPA it is superfast - REALLY VERY SUPERFAST - but when stuck on 3G does nothing (only data, voice seems unaffected).

Reading thru this forum a few people seem to have had improvements when the sim has been replaced. 

Questions - 

• Do you think that this may be the reason for the data problem?
  • Can the moderator arrange to get a micro sim sent out?

Thanks, Steve

Message 1 of 16 (4,368 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

Re: Micro sim & 3G/HSDPA

If you have a Vodafone store near you, simply drop in and ask for a free replacement SIM card.

Autism_sig.png

Message 2 of 16 (4,365 Views)
arranchallanger

I will pop in this afternoon and ask. Will let you know if it makes a difference... it is the most frustrating problem.
Message 3 of 16 (4,355 Views)
arranchallanger

Vodafone shop were very helpful... immediately loaded me up a new microsim.

Still trying to work out if it has solved the 3G/HSDPA switching problem.

Will continue to report.
Message 4 of 16 (4,321 Views)
debully

Think the radio is more responsible TBH,  HTC has addressed this in the current OTA and it has gone down very well with the community.

Unfortunately we have absolutely no idea how long Voda will drag their feed in releasing this minor update.  (Three have released it today - o2's phones have had it today, all other non-branded phones have had it today - I bet we're waiting months!)

Message 5 of 16 (4,311 Views)
arranchallanger

Surely they can't hold it back for ages? I need something to make a difference as I never know if the internet or any data use app is going to work or frustrate the life out of me.
Message 6 of 16 (4,303 Views)
arranchallanger

Still almost unusable unless connected to WiFi. Pretty much does not want to download anything on 3G. Beginning to lose patience. I will be back to the shop this weekend... not very happy.

And no answer on this support forum from the tech team... not a great start.
Message 7 of 16 (4,281 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there arranchallanger,

Thanks for your post about the signal on your One X.

I see you've been getting help from our esteemed members already. It's a shame the new SIM didn't resolve your issue. How was the phone performing in the store? Did you even get a chance to test it?

I've just checked your local site in any case in the event there's a local issue and the site seems to be performing perfectly so the site isn't the cause.

I'd be looking at a possible replacement or repair, depending on the age of your handset.

Cheers,

Lee

Message 8 of 16 (4,254 Views)
arranchallanger

Thanks for the reply... i have had a few days away from it so not quite as frustrated as i was.

However the issue is still the same today. I am just downloading the firmware update and (although it isn't noted as an issue to be fixed) i will see if it makes any difference.

Other than that it is definitely faulty... who do i speak to?

Thanks, Steve

Message 9 of 16 (4,204 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi arranchallanger,

Thanks for coming back to me.

If the handset is older than 7 days then please head over to our Vodafone Repairs thread for more information on getting it repaired under warranty.

If it's not as old as that then I've sent you a PM which can be accessed here. If you could follow the instructions in the PM and send us your details one of the team will be with you as soon as they can.

Cheers,

Lee

Message 10 of 16 (4,175 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
Petinho

sorry to jump into this thread, my signal was poor before the firmware update but has improved alot since the update
Message 11 of 16 (4,169 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
jimius

Well mine has gone the other way. Wi-fi is much better, but my network signal is almost non-existent, lucky if i get 3 or 4 bars, and forget about 3G/HSDPA, doesn't matter where i am can't get it.

Iv'e tried putting my sim in an adapter, and into my old phone, i get full bars on 3G at the very least. So it looks like a trip to the VF store and send it off for repair.

jimius
Message 12 of 16 (4,128 Views)
jimius

Well, dunno what's going on now, the signal is a lot better now but it's all over the place.

Full bars on E, then H, then 3G. It then drops to 2 bars on E, back to full bars on 3G, no down to 2 bars, now back to 3 bars on E.

Hope it settles down by Monday, it's a bit of a drive to the VF store.

jimius
Message 13 of 16 (4,111 Views)
debully

That's a problem with this radio at the moment. If you just want a stable signal dial *#*#4636#*#* , select phone then choose gsm auto prl. Or just lock it to gsm. These setting a do not persist (another bug) but night work for you until the radio is developed further
Message 14 of 16 (4,094 Views)
arranchallanger

I got a 2nd replacement sim card last week as the Vodafone store were pretty uninterested in the problem. However it has improved the situation... but definitely not fixed it.

I think the phone is just slow switching from 3G to HSDPA.

Great phone... flawed.

Will give it this week to see if it settles down and then it is going in for a fix.

Fortunately it is on a 12 month contract so will be able to move on to a provider that cares more than Vodafone... if they exist.
Message 15 of 16 (4,084 Views)
electronicpunk

Seeing mine constantly swap between 3G and H as well, sometimes even E :smileysurprised: but performance seems fine, hopefully somthing that can be refined by HTC.

They were quite quick to release the source code for the One V ,but thing for us yet so perhaps they are trying to get updates in place before rolling that out. (perhaps even a 3.x kernel ;s)
Message 16 of 16 (4,061 Views)