Support:

HTC One series

Ask a question:
Rank 2: First Poster
kayjobes

Wi-fi set up appearing everyday

Hi there, I keep getting a box asking me to set up the Vodafone WiFi everyday or so. Each day I turn off WiFi and switch on mobile internet and it says its completed. However, it appears the next day. Vodafone on Twitter suggested going onto the My Vodafone account app, and it hasn't fixed the issue. I always keep my phone up to date as well. help? :smileysad:
Message 1 of 54 (12,975 Views)
kayjobes

Re: Wi-fi set up appearing everyday

Image didn't attach from my phone.. so just attaching it here :smileyhappy:

Message 2 of 54 (12,965 Views)
Seb83

Bit of a funny one that I'm wondering if it's the phone 'forgetting' the WiFi set up each time or the Vodafone WiFi set up client being weird.

If it happens again maybe try this:

When the WiFi set up box pops up, ignore it and go straight into your WiFi setting info and see what's there.

If you're not sure where to look it's Settings>WiFi>Menu (the 3 dots)>Advanced.

In there should be a load of info. If the info is there but the WiFi Set Up keeps popping up I'd say it's a problem with the Vodafone software/their info being updated.

If the phone is forgetting stuff, all the WiFi info should be missing (things like IP address/MAC Address etc)

Either way, it doesn't solve the problem, but it should give Vodafone/HTC an idea of what to look at. I hope this helps.

Message 3 of 54 (12,924 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

[ Edited ]

Hi kayjobes,

Seb83 is spot on with that check - it will help us see what is going on for you.

Also, can you confirm that by "Vodafone Wi-Fi" you actually mean the BT Openzone allowance? If so, to fill in the gaps, under available Wi-Fi you should see "Auto-BTWiFi" available for selection. 

If this is not the Wi-Fi you mean, can you clarify which Wi-Fi you're having issues with? Vodafone do not specifically supply Wi-Fi hotspots, only an allowance on the BT Openzone service.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 54 (12,914 Views)
kayjobes

It seems to come up every evening, maybe when I settle down for a good word scramble game or a read of a book on my Kindle app :smileyhappy: I've had a look at my advanced Wi-Fi settings, see here:

2012-05-21 21.40.52.png

Also, here's a list of my available Wi-Fi's:

2012-05-21 21.43.39.png

(Please delete these if I shouldn't share this info! :smileyfrustrated:)

I can connect to BT Openzone hotspots, but can't seem to log in on the browser.. and despite it being included in my price plan I can't seem to connect to any of the handful I've tried (in Bracknell & Windsor). I talked to somebody on the live chat here, and he changed my password then offered to delete my account and re-create it (as some information was missing or something?). I politely refused as I didn't really want all my my account being deleted and perhaps not being put back on the right price plan or something going wrong and I don't think it would solve the issue of not being able to connect to BT Openzone hotspots. I'm not worried, I have WiFi at home and work so I would very rarely use the BT Openzones. However, it's just this box popping up all the time that is annoying. It's normally when I'm just at home on the Wi-Fi, but every now and then it does it when I'm out and about on Mobile internet too.  Any ideas?

Message 5 of 54 (12,900 Views)
kayjobes

Spotted another twitter user with the same issue! Hurrah, I'm not going mad :smileyhappy:

See here: https://twitter.com/#!/PDTalkinTech/status/204325036608331776

& here: https://twitter.com/#!/VodafoneUK/status/204471377057681408

Would be nice to know what the feedback on this was, and also if he's using a HTC One as well.

Message 6 of 54 (12,895 Views)
kayjobes

Help? :/

Message 7 of 54 (12,872 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi kayjobes

Thanks for your post here. I’m sorry to hear about the problems you are having with this. Can you confirm if you have uninstalled and reinstalled the app? Can you try this for me?

With regards to your BT Openzone connectivity, can you visit http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/ pop your postcode in and look for any red BT Openzone icons. These are the ones that are included in your price plan. Any of the other colours or icons are for BT premium users only.

Please let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions, please let me know.

Thanks

Wayne

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 8 of 54 (12,860 Views)
kayjobes

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for getting back to me. I uninstalled and re-installed the 'My vodafone' app last night, and so far the annoying box hasn't popped up :smileyhappy: I'll keep an eye out for it and let you know if it re-appears.

Thanks for your help with the BT Openzones as well, perhaps it was me picking a dodgey hotspot and not my BT Openzone allowance. I'll try one of the listed ones in the future.

Kayleigh

Message 9 of 54 (12,847 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi kayjobes

Thats great news thanks for letting us know :smileyhappy: . I know theres been a few days since your last post but if you have a spare minute could you please take the time to fill out a short feedback form about me?

You can do so here

Thanks

Wayne

Message 10 of 54 (12,747 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
JamieTaylor

Yes I'm getting this when using my handset on WiFi. I don't use any BTopenzone yet so I'm getting this on my house WiFi and all my friend's WiFi as well.

Should I try removing and reinstalling My Vodafone app as well?

J.

Message 11 of 54 (12,207 Views)
Shaz500

I also need help with this as I keep getting a wifi box appearing several times a day asking me to disconnect from wifi and register with Vodafone first.  Each time I do this but it hasn't fixed it. I noticed the solution above was to uninstall the My Vodafone app and reinstall but as it came pre-installed on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note II) I can't uninstall it.  My husband also bought the same phone at the same time and he hasn't had any issues with this.  Please can you help...

Message 12 of 54 (9,324 Views)
kayjobes

I still get this issue too, it wasn't solved after all. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a couple of days and sometimes it comes up repeatedly. Pretty annoying but I don't think there's a fix :/

Message 13 of 54 (9,305 Views)
Tech Team
Ben_H

Hi folks,

As this isn't happening on all devices, my recommendation would be to remove and reinstall the My Vodafone App (where possible) as mentioned above. You'll need to restart the phone to let the changes take effect.

If that doesn't work, I'd try a factory reset. Be sure to back up your details via Google Sync first so as not to lose any numbers/email addresses/calendar dates etc. Could you all let me know if that works? Feel free to repost if not including your phones software details. To do this go to 'Settings' > 'About' > 'Software information' and include everything that appears on this screen so we can see if there's a pattern. :smileywink:

Cheers, Ben 

Message 14 of 54 (9,270 Views)
squidf

I am also having this issue.

Message 15 of 54 (8,198 Views)
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Tom

Hi squidf, have you tried all of the steps above?

Thanks,

Tom

Message 16 of 54 (8,023 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
peterkin101

I read elsewhere that this is a handset issue and HTC are aware of it and are formulating a fix.

Message 17 of 54 (7,886 Views)
siperiea

This issue appeared after sending my phone in for repair under warranty (motherboard fried). Since receiving the phone back I get Vodafone wifi setup every hour or so, usually a second time immediately after cancelling the first request. I have been cancelling the popup as I get the wifi setup request even after I've had the "wifi setup complete" message. spoken to numerous Vodafone reps on the phone and in store. Nothing has worked. I've tried :
Uninstall My Vodafone App and Reinstall.
Delete Vodafone account and recreate.
Switch off "auto connect to BT Openzone".
Please, someone sort this out. This is really intrusive (has appeared twice whilst writing this).
Message 18 of 54 (6,959 Views)
siperiea

Samsung Galaxy S3
Message 19 of 54 (6,958 Views)
squidf

I have removed and reinstalled the Vodafone App with no success.  There is no way that I am going to do a factory reset.  It will take hours to get everything back on my phone.  I will just continue hitting cancel when the screen pops up or maybe uninstall the Vodafone app for good and see if that helps.

Frank

Message 20 of 54 (6,944 Views)