Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

htc one x wifi connection problems after jellybean update

njs
2: Seeker

Had my htc one x since July and had no problems with it at all. That is until I installed the upgrade to jellybean since when the phone keeps dropping the wifi connection. I have installed wifi fixer app which does reconnect after it drops but this can take a couple of seconds, which is just about bareable when looking at web pages but is a nightmare when trying to watch streaming such as bbc iplayer.

Has anyone else had this problem and are there any fixes for it

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

headcheese
16: Advanced member

DJKarlos,

I know someone of that name in the real world! You didn't by any chance go to the delightful farnborough college of technology circa 1998 did you?

Anyway, I digress...

I don't have the problem with standby that you mention, but I HAVE noticed my one x affecting other devices connected to our ADSL router by wifi. I thought I was going mental when I first noticed this. If a user could cause this effect when they wanted to, then they could "freeze" a wifi router. Not too much of a problem at home, but imagine that in an office or on public wifi... yikes!

This is only a suspicion, but I've been having slightly more joy with my wifi by ending an app called "joyn" via my task manager. Generally, if I have problems then end this app wifi connectivity is better, but occasionally I have to disconnect and reconnect the wifi to get the a usable wifi connection (after ending the joyn app). Also the app keeps relaunching itself which annoys me. I haven't played with it enough for this app to be anything more than suspicious at the moment, but I'll see what I can work out.

PS The permissions for this app are kerazy!

PPS I'm going to disable it (even though I get an "if you disable this app other apps may not work as expected" message) and give connectivity a try with Wifi when I get home tonight. I'll let you know if it makes the wifi connection any better.  

HeadCheese

Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately Joyn is not running on my One X. I checked in Task manager and it's not mentioned in there, in fact it appears in Play store as "free" rather than as "Installed" or "update". I haven't found any other WiFi networks to be affected although that's without thorough investigation. It might be my BT HomeHub causing the problem for all I know - although I am dubious as my other half has the One X+ and her phone doesn't seem to cause me problems, nor does her iPad, but I do cause her problems (both with connectivity and in other ways!).

As it all started since the JB update I can't help think it's something to do with that, I am considering putting a custom ROM on my phone, and possibly update the radio if available, given that I've tried nearly everything else.

DJKarlos' are few a far between and I'm afraid I'm not 'that' DJKarlos...

headcheese

Hmmm, seems I'm barking up the wrong tree then.

I kind of had my fingers crossed it was app related, but it's not souding like it is. I guess this points at something more core, related to the update. If this is the case we coudl be waiting for a further update to get this fixed.

I'll keep poking about and see if aything else presents itself, and if it does I'll be sure to post here.

I've just realised that the problem also extended to intermittently knocking the wifi out for every other device on my home network - I even went as far as moaning about it to bt and getting a new router before I realised the problem lay with the phone!

Any answers yet Vodafone?

Hi rosstheboss,

I'm unsure how an issue with the phone's Wi-Fi connection could be disconnecting other devices. What exactly is happening and how have you tracked this back to the phone?

Dave

Basically if I kept the wifi on on the phone, after a short while I would get limited access on my laptop, ps3, wife's laptop etc.  I thought this was a fault with the router as the line was fine, so I got it replaced and the problem persisted.  Since I have given up using the wifi on my phone at home, I have never had this problem.  I really don't think it's a huge coincidence as it happens every time I turn the wifi on my phone on and never happens when I don't!!!

And all since the update.....

And only on my One X, not my wife's One S....

djkarlos
Well I do wonder if it's a combination of the phone and BT homehub.

Since I last posted I have tried reformatting my phone and found that joyn was running on my phone, or at least it was installed (not showing in tasks though) after getting hopeful and disabling the app I found that it didn't make a difference.

I then decided to go to more drastic extremes and have installed a custom ROM on my phone. Android Revolution HD 19.2 to be precise. As this involves flashing of various bits and it removes all Vodafone specifics I thought it might be my best option. Unfortunately nothing has changed, still causing connection issues for other WIFI users.

I have now gone down the route of a work around, I have set up a second wireless router on the same network and connected my phone to that hotspot, everything else is connected to the homehub. So far I have not caused any problems for other WIFI users. Fingers crossed that I have found my solution, albeit not ideal running two hotspots.

So still no solution.

headcheese

Hello!

So I've been using WiFi on my phone without issues since i disabled Joyn. From my phone's perspective the browsing over WiFi is pretty much how it was prior to the Jellybean update.

The thing is that it still causes issues with other devices connected to the BT home hub via WiFi. Here's what happens:

1) I turn on WiFi on my one x

2) I start browsing

3) The frenetic sound of button mashing and shouting at the ref in Fifa coming from my GF's son's bedroom suddenly stops

4) There's a knock at the door

5) My GFs son asks if I mind if he turns the router off and on (he's nice and polite like that)

6) I say "sure", then turn the WiFi off on my phone

7) Footsteps go downstairs

😎 Footsteps go upstairs

9) The frenetic sound of button mashing and ref heckling coming from my GF's son's bedroom starts up again

A couple of nights ago, just for fun, we went throught the above steps about 4 times. For the sake of my GF's son's sanity I left it that, but I'm pretty sure that it's my phone causing the problem. It even got to the stage where I coudl turn on WiFi on my phone and then accurately predict when the knock would come.

So I'm pretty sure it's my phone that's causing the problem.

I'll do some more testing to see if I can prove it (that doesn't involve button mashing and door knocking).

Well it's still doing it, to the point now where if the signal drops on my laptop or any other device I will instinctively turn the wifi on my phone off, wait a few seconds and the wireless signal returns to all the other devices.

Not really ideal, eh Vodafone?

And all since the update months ago, and still no fix.

Hi rosstheboss,

I’ve not seen much traffic around this lately.

Are you on the latest version of the software for the phone?

If you are, I’d suggest a factory reset of the phone to see if this solves things for you. Remember to back up all your important information first.

If you still see the issue after a factory reset, the next option would be to send your phone for repair.

Thanks

Andrew