16-12-2010 08:14 PM
I had my update today and after spending a year on the laggy 1.6 the 2.2.1 makes it like a new phone, although I'm fully greatful to Vodafone in getting the update sorted its way overdue we should of had this ages ago, it appears to solve many problems the 1.6 had and the new tools and layout etc is very nice and to my surprise the magic seems to handle it very well, weather it handles it as well with 5 homes screens filled with many widgets we will have to wait and see........amonst other things they left off this verson to suit our magics they have also took off the news and weather widgets that the 2.2 had......what a shame, was looking forward to a nice clean stock widget.......but overal im very pleased.
16-12-2010 08:18 PM
I guess they didn't want people to be using the network bandwidth, which is a bit lame of them. (unless it's nothing to do with Vodafone, in which case, apologies!)
I use the beautiful widgets from the market, which gives you a nice weather and clock widget. It's not free though (but is cheap).
I love how fluid the phone feels now. I do have some niggles with it, but I think that overall I am really pleased with it.
16-12-2010 08:24 PM
I used beatiful widgets too on the 1.6 but just lately I have found it unresponsive and failed to update so I uninstalled.....always used to be ok, might be fine on the 2.2, i'll guess I'll give it a try.
16-12-2010 10:13 PM
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3
If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
17-12-2010 03:51 AM - edited 17-12-2010 03:57 AM
Improvements I've noticed.
- Boot up seems a little faster (maybe 20%-40% or so).
- Scanning SD card (on boot up) seems a lot faster (100% or so)
- Switching back to the home screen after closing an app doesn't result in a blank home screen (like it often did with 1.6).
- Opening, closing and switching between apps seems faster and more fluid.
- On-screen keyboard is a lot less laggy and gives a more positive response.
- Generally less lag overall.
- No need to keep using a task killer any more.
- Bluetooth file transfer actually works.
- Stock browser is better, but still not as fast as Opera Mini imo.
- Apps to SD (where supported by the app).
- Image gallery is excellent. Finally swipe to the side (instead of using arrows) to next image and pinch to zoom.
- Lock screen is more informative and unlock pattern detection seems to work better.
- Built in USB tethering (although I haven't tried this yet)
- UI animations look cool and are fast with no lag.
- Stock camera app has greater functionality.
- Better use of the space where the app tray pull up tab used to be.
- Froyo backs up settings and application data to Google servers.
- Holding down the home button now gives 8, instead of 6 recently used app choices.
- Aesthetic improvements to the dialer interface.
- Stock messaging app now shows pictures.
- No real improvement to the music player.
- Superfluous extra home screens (it's usually just as quick to go to the app tray as to go to outer screens)
- Slightly less aesthetically pleasing calculator, with less attractive icon.
- 2 Clicks to get to alarms (clock => alarms) instead of 1 (alarms).
- 2 Clicks to get to video recorder (camera => video) instead of 1 (video).
- Stock Camera interface still looks ugly and amateur (with the silly border).
- A great improvement over 1.6, but it took us Magic users far too long to get an update.
17-12-2010 12:46 PM
I just got this sorted today.
It needs to be able to read your phone number from the sim card.
If you go to Settings/About Phone/Status and if your number under that section is listed as unknown, then you have to edit that information using another phone that will you alter that info on your sim.
I had exactly this issue and today, I borrowed my friends old Sony Ericsson and popped my sim card in. If you navigate to Contacts/Options/Special Numbers or something like that (not dead sure as I'm not too good on SE phones) you can enter your own phone number there.
Then, back to the Magic with your updated sim. It will now allow you to long press on the grey android square within a thread that you have replied to and add that number (your own) to contacts. I just added the number and didn't add a name. you then can add an account picture to that contact and Bingo...you are no longer a grey faceless entity.
If you however don't have the "unknown number" problem in that Status, then all you have to do is the long press on the grey android picture and do it from there.
I think there plain grey square (with no wee android on it) showing in the thread with no response on long press is indicative of the unknown number issue. If you have a grey android picture, than it is editable and ready to go.
Hope you get sorted!