You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 4: Established Poster
Accepted Solution

Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich for Desire S and Desire HD

HTC announced that several phones including Desire S and Desire HD will be getting ICS eventually with some models (not Desire ones, sadly) will be getting updates "within weeks".

http://blog.htc.com/2012/03/ics/

I am wondering whether Vodafone could enlighten its customers on when it is planning to roll out the update?

I take it that there wll be a usual delay to allow customization?

Message 1 of 90 (24,294 Views)
Rank 45: Oracle IV

Re: Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich for Desire S and Desire HD

Vodafone won't give any date's for the new firmware releases.

Each Firmware release must go through full testing before Vodafone wil allow it onto their handsets.

All is explained here

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 2 of 90 (24,260 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

[ Edited ]

Also, as you will find out, Vodafone has no idea how long this process could take and will not even estimate a schedule. It doesn't even guarantee it will even release it at all.

In the past, adding all the Vodafone crapware into a nice new OS has taken ages, hence the reason I would never get a branded Vodafone handset again...

Message 3 of 90 (24,151 Views)
Rank 1: Guest

[ Edited ]

very good ,up you !!!

Message 4 of 90 (24,133 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster

Hi,
Just been anounced that the update will be rolled out starting the 29th for the HTC Sensation, will my wifes HTC Desire S be updated anytime soon?
Message 5 of 90 (23,240 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III

This is for the Open Network devices not Vodafone ones 

You need to ckeck there firmware section 

Message 6 of 90 (23,217 Views)

last time i looked it was a forum for vodaphone users?
point me to the correct section then will you?
Message 7 of 90 (23,159 Views)

Hi guys any news on the update for the HTC Desire S series?

Message 8 of 90 (22,395 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Kasey,

Unfortunately we don’t have any official dates for any firmware releases as these dates can change on a daily basis.

For more information on firmware releases, please check out our firmware statement.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 9 of 90 (22,392 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

This has not Actually been solved has it? as nobody is any the wiser!
Message 10 of 90 (21,962 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V

And that was the answer, so it's technically solved :smileywink:

Just gotta wait I suppose - it'll be out when it's out
HTC One X (S720e)
ROM: 3.14.401.31 (JRO03C)
HBOOT: 1.39.0000 | Recovery: Stock
Radio: 5.1204.162.29 | Kernel: Stock
Message 11 of 90 (21,957 Views)

Knowing Voda this update won't be until about the end of the year.

Much later than the rest of market, although I'd love to be proved wrong I haven't in the past

Message 12 of 90 (21,592 Views)

Vodafone's firmware policy states:

"What happens if I update my phone to an unofficial (non-Vodafone) version of software?

All mobile phones that we sell are covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. Provided users are downloading official software, whether operating system updates or applications, via the manufacturer’s website, PC software or Over The Air there should be no impact on its validity.

Any update that users are prompted to download to their device through an official channel (either by the manufacturer or Vodafone directly) is classed as an official update. For example, if you are told an update is available for your Samsung Galaxy S through Samsung’s Kies PC Sync software, your warranty won’t be impacted if you choose to install it."

Are you confirming that if HTC offer an unbranded firmware update via its own web site or similar channel before Vodafone finish its own version then owners of Vodafone branded phones are OK to install the new official unbranded software?

Message 13 of 90 (21,071 Views)

cmor,

You will invalidate your warranty with Vodafone however your hardware warranty with HTC would stil be in tact, assuming you don't root the handset.

Message 14 of 90 (20,974 Views)

Thanks Nabs,

So the device will still be covered by the 24 month HTC warranty, which states that if a fault is found the:-

"9 b) ...the Customer should then contact the dealer where such Product was purchased"

In this case the dealer is Vodafone.

Can you confirm what actions Vodafone takes if a faulty phone is returned under the HTC warranty?

Message 15 of 90 (20,719 Views)

[ Edited ]

cmor,

The full seciton 9b reads:

If the problem cannot be resolved by reference to the user manual the Customer should then contact the dealer where such Product was purchased or visit your local HTC website,..or HTC service center or www.htc.com for further information.

I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you sent it back to Vodafone. Worst case i guess they would send it back saying your warranty with Vodafone had been voided and Advise you send it to HTC.

In reality they would probably repair it as usual and take no notice of the software version, don't quote me on that, as I say i'm not sure.

If the update makes a change to the handset which meant Vodafone could not flash it back to their version then you would definatly get it sent back though

Message 16 of 90 (20,619 Views)

Thanks again.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, as the seller its Vodafone's responsibility to honour the manufacturers warranty.  Whether they do that by providing repairs in their own service centers or return it to HTC's service centers is up to Vodafone. As the buyer I am told to return the phone to Vodafone for a repair and they are obligated to provide it (so long as the fault is covered by the warranty).

This effectively renders Vodafone's warranty as worthless.

So returning to the initial topic, owners of Vodafone branded phones are entitled to install HTC's ICS update via an official channel as permitted by the t&c's and that will have a very limited, if any, impact to the warranty.

Message 17 of 90 (20,538 Views)

cmor wrote:

so long as the fault is covered by the warranty

And if the fault is found to be caused by incorrect software versions then arguably this isn't covered by warranty. As i mentioned in a lot of cases it will make no difference the software vesrion, as long as they can flash the Vodafone version back on you would be fine.

A lot of it will depend on the process you use to carry out the update. Some processes require you to unlock the bootloader which HTC state will void your warranty. In this case you would be on your own.

Message 18 of 90 (20,532 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster

The bottom line is that you'll wait for ages for an update from VF, and going elsewhere for an update is fraught with difficulties re the warranty.

Also, I've read in the past that going to, for instance the HTC update/download site, you couldn't download the update from there either because you had to input some numbers from your handset and the site recognised the numbers as being VF and wouldn't allow you to download anyway!

All this nonsense/hassle is partly why I now buy my own handsets and negotiate SIMO deals.

Message 19 of 90 (20,253 Views)

For the uninitiated, what is an Ice Cream Sandwich? Is it any good?

Message 20 of 90 (19,823 Views)
Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Stand out from the crowd