Support:

HTC

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
frite-aris

Constant and very frustrating problems since ICS 4.0 update

Hi,

I am having major problems since the ICS 4.0 update. Since updating to ICS 4.0 on Saturday the weekend just gone i have experienced the following issues:

1. SD card (SANDISK 32gb) constantly unmounts itself when; a. Connecting to a PC (tried on 2 different PC's with different levels on Microsoft operating system - Vista and XP) b. Running apps (such as spotify for example).

2. my whole music collection was deleted from my SD card with out me doing anything!! And i am not able to put my music back on my phone because the SD card keeps unmounting very time i try to connect to my PC!

Please note the SD card has worked perfectly up until the point i updated. It is not corrupted as I still have all my other data (files photos and can access everything else with out issue

3. 3.5mm jack socket no longer out puts audio through htc headphones that came with the phone as well as connecting to my car stereo and external speakers which have worked with out a glitch since before the update, though interestingly the play/pause FFWD/RWND buttons on the headphones still control the stock music player - have tried installing several different music player apps and all the same, though spotify (when SD card doesnt unmount of course) does output audio through the jack socket.

4. When unmounting and removing SD card completely then connecting to PC, connect to htc sync and try to sync calendar, contacts and bookmarks so i can hard reset the phone but keep getting an error 'unexpected error (1000)' this is with the latest version of HTC sync

are these issues experienced by anyone else? Are vodafone able to help? Are these not fundamental things that should have come out of testing before release (I work in and IT company so know how vigorously things should be tested before general release)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as II am at wits end for this and just want my smart phone to do the basic tasks It has been able to do since before the update.

Cheers

A very frustrated customer and user

Message 1 of 11 (8,957 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
EddyOS

Re: Constant and very frustrating problems since ICS 4.0 update

Have you done a factory reset of the phone yet? If not, that would be the suggestion
HTC One X (S720e)
ROM: 3.14.401.31 (JRO03C)
HBOOT: 1.39.0000 | Recovery: Stock
Radio: 5.1204.162.29 | Kernel: Stock
Message 2 of 11 (8,929 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

[ Edited ]

Hi frite-aris,

Please give the suggestion from Eddy-OS a go. Sometimes a reset can be needed to ensure the update takes correctly.

You'll find the instructions - if needed - here:

Resetting your HTC Sensation to its factory default settings

As with any factory reset, make sure you have backed up your data first.

If this doesn't work, let us know and we'll be happy to help with this for you.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 3 of 11 (8,919 Views)
frite-aris

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your response, the point was that I was not able to do a hard factory reset because I couldn't back up my data such as contact and calendar due to receiving an error with HTC Sync.

I have since had success, Since completely uninstalling HTCsync from my PC and then re-downloading this from HTC website and re-installing solved the problem and allowed me to back up contacts, calendars and bookmarks to my PC.

Once I had performed the back up I performed the hard factory reset and went through the laborious and very time consuming process of re-installing all the apps I had previous loaded onto my phone and setting these back up in turn...which I am still doing, makes you realize how many apps you accumulate and what you become to rely upon over time!

Initial views show that they seem to be some new standard apps which had not properly loaded when performing the upgrade that have been introduced with ICS 4.0 which didn't appear until after hard factory reset.

Initial tests seem to be good in that jack socket now works, SD card doesn't seem to dismount repeatedly now so the hard factory reset certainly seems to have been the cure!

The question from this all though is WHY! Why should it be this complicated! As stated previously I work in IT and deal in upgrading and supporting systems, I have experienced and undertaken some every complicated systems being upgraded and updated and compared to updating my handset updating those complicated systems is much easier. It just should not be this difficult and laborious to update/upgrade a smartphone OS i.e.. Having to do a hard factory reset and then have to re-set up your phone.

I hate to think how other less IT literate customers/users have coped with this.

Appreciate this is not Vodafone's fault, rant now over.

Many thanks for your help EddyOS and Dave.

Message 4 of 11 (8,904 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
EddyOS

This has always been an issue with HTC OTA updates on many handsets - not just the Sensation. some work fine and others have hissy fits!!

As I wasn't using my Sensation at the time of getting the OTA I did a hard reset straight away as to not have to worry about things not working first time and (touch wood) now I'm back to using my Sensation it's been solid
HTC One X (S720e)
ROM: 3.14.401.31 (JRO03C)
HBOOT: 1.39.0000 | Recovery: Stock
Radio: 5.1204.162.29 | Kernel: Stock
Message 5 of 11 (8,901 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
Playtoe

I have to agree with frite-aris here.

Since the update my Exchange email has not been working and my phone has been quite sluggish.

I am aware that a factory reset will probably fix it but am reluctant to do so because of the amount of work to restore everything.

Backup facilities are pretty limited and in particular its not possible (as far as I know) to back up the WPA (WiFi)  password without rooting.

I don't want to root because I don't want to invalidate my warranty and also I don't see why I should have to.

Why can't we have a backup that backsup EVERYTHING so that a hard reset isn't such a trauma.

Message 6 of 11 (8,889 Views)
Filo25

The issue with the phone having sluggish performance since the update is one that my wife has had, on the other hand mine has been quicker than ever since the update, it just now seems to be running through the battery dramatically quicker, all very odd.
Message 7 of 11 (8,870 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Hi Filo25,

Can you advise what exactly is happening with the Exchange issue? Are you seeing any specific error messages, and when do they occur?

If you can walk us through what you're trying and what happens at what point then it will make it easier to help diagnose the issue.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 8 of 11 (8,821 Views)
azzledazzle

Received the ICS update, And guess what !!! The Crappy signal issues still persist..

You've got to sort this out, I cannot use my phone like this... I refuse to pay £50 for a sure signal box... The issues are everywhere not just in my home (which has excellent coverage according to your website)
Message 9 of 11 (8,809 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi azzledazzle,

Can I ask if your phone has been away for a free of charge warranty repair as it is possible that there is a fault with the inbuilt antenna on the phone?

If this has already been for repair and you are experiencing the same issue please follow the instructions on the PM that I have sent you and I will be able to look at what we can do for you.

You can find your PM inbox here.

James

Message 10 of 11 (8,772 Views)
azzledazzle

Hi, James. 

Yes i have had my HTC Sensation sent for repair... There was no fault, I made a complaint and got a brand new one sent to me and i still have the same problems.. 

If you do a quick google search you will see how big of an issue this is... It seems the sensation isnt compatible with vodafone (for most of us at least ! ) 

I really like this phone, But i cannot continue to use it without any signal... And i WILL NOT buy a sure signal box as the signal issue affects me everywhere... 

Any way, I have read your PM and filled out all the necessary details. I would be more than grateful if you / someone from your team, could keep in close contact with me until a solutution is made.. 

I am a very happy Vodafone customer, I have been for a few years now, I would also like to continue to use them for as long as i have a contract phone.... But these issues are really affecting my loyalty to the company. 

Thank you. 

Message 11 of 11 (8,769 Views)