Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dead HTC One M8?

naeduk72
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I've had my HTC One M8 for 5 months now. 

Last week, it became really slow so I rebooted it. When it booted up, it had lost a few hours of emails and it downloaded them again.

Eventually the phone became really slow and all of the apps started to crash, so I rebooted the phone again.

When it rebooted, the phone was in exactly the same state as after the previous reboot - emails needed to be downloaded again, settings I had changed had reverted to their previous settings and the alarm had been turned back on.

I have changed the settings, removed / changed the alarm and downloaded emails. Every time, after about two hours, the phone completely seizes up. I reboot and it's back to the earlier settings again, Groundhog Day style.

I've tried a factory reboot via the settings, and via the hard reset method. It warns me that I will lose all of my data.

It then reboots but with a red triangle rather than the usual symbol. When it eventually boots up, the phone is exactly in the same state as after the previous reboots.

Any ideas of how I can completely wipe and restart the phone? Or how this happened in the first place? If it is a hardware fault, is it covered by warranty (Vodafone Red 4G monthly contract)?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

That sounds horribly like a corruption somewhere and I suspect a repair is the only route.  Sorry.

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

The first thing to do is perform a factory reset of the device. There is a great guide from HTC on how to rest the device here. Do make sure that you have backed up all your personal data first as this will completely wipe your device.

Once you have performed the reset, I would recommend holding off installing any of your apps just to see how the phone behaves without anything on it. If the phone is stable for a few days, start installing your apps one at a time to see if there is a particular app that is causing your phone to misbehave. 

PWIAC

Thanks. I've tried that several times - both the software and hardware method. It keeps going back to exactly where it was before!

drey_p

Is it okay immediately after the reset? Or does it start playing up only when apps are installed?

PWIAC

This is the problem! It doesn't reset by either of the factory reset / hard reset methods. It warns me that all of my data will be erased. It reboots and then nothing has been erased. Even if I delete apps / settings / favourites, they come back after the reboot.Thanks again!

hrym

That sounds horribly like a corruption somewhere and I suspect a repair is the only route.  Sorry.

That's what I suspected, thanks. Was just wondering if anyone knew a quick fix, but you have confirmed my suspicions.

hrym

If you can boot to recovery mode, you could try the Clear Cache option.  That might do it.   If the problem is in the boot section, though, it needs a bit more than that.  I think I'd go to HTC with this.  Vodafone are generic repairers and will try a reset first.  If the phone appears to be working, they may assume that's done the job.