Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Diary system advise

Nosbigc
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello again

I would like to have a diary system that will sync with PC, tablet and two HTC phones (my husbands and mine) but we can both alter and update it.

Any advice welcome. 

Many thanks

Cheryl

forgot to add I already use Outlook on my PC.

4 REPLIES 4

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

The best option is Google Calendar. You'll both have Gmail accounts as you have Android phones (I assume the HTC's are Androids) and that gives you free access to all of Google's services including calendar. One of the phones will need to have two gmail accounts so you can both have access to the one calendar.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks for this. Yes we do have google. Will have a look at this. I use outlook at the moment and update the phones which takes time.  Can I link google calendar to outlook some how or do I need to reimput everything onto GC?

jeffkinn

There isn't a way to sync Google with Outlook. There used to be a way but Google in their wisdom withdrew that facility. You'd have to re-input manually.

Personally, I have what is called a Hosted Exchange account. That allows me to use Outlook on as many computers as I like and they all have exactly the same information in them. You can sync emails, calendar and contacts across multiple devices and a change on one will change the same information on all of them wirelessley and instantly. But it isn't free - I pay £8.14 a month for that and it uses my own personal domain that I own.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

hrym

I use both Outlook and Google and keep them separate (well, I have to now, of course).  I did once have the Outlook calendar sync'd with Google and it all went horribly wrong and entries got duplicated due to unsync'd clocks.

In Google calendar, you can add other calendars, so it would be worth looking at that.  I think you can add personal ones (I have Google's own UK Holidays one and a Formula 1 one that links to a website, but not one from another Google account).   I also think you have to set the link up on the website, then choose from a list within the calendar app.  That way, you wouldn't have to have two Google accounts on the phone - if you do that, you can see everything related to the account, including emails.   Your contacts wil also merge if you're not careful.  You can select what syncs though, of course.