You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
baldrick3

Duplicate Text Messages

I have an odd problem which vodafone can't seem to fix. Randomly, but frequently, when I send a text it is sent in duplicate. I have had a repacement phone and sim card but the problem persists. Has anyone else suffered this? :wacko:
Message 1 of 16 (2,314 Views)
DPH
Rank 13: Guide II
DPH

Duplicate Text Messages

Does it appear twice in your sent items?

If it only appears once and the recipient receives it twice it will be because the receiving end hasn't sent the received successful message back to the network, if the network doesn't receive the acknowledgement it will enter a retry schedule and deliver the message until the receiving end phone acknowledges the delivery.
Message 2 of 16 (2,314 Views)
baldrick3

Duplicate Text Messages

Does it appear twice in your sent items?

If it only appears once and the recipient receives it twice it will be because the receiving end hasn't sent the received successful message back to the network, if the network doesn't receive the acknowledgement it will enter a retry schedule and deliver the message until the receiving end phone acknowledges the delivery.

It appears twice in my sent items
Message 3 of 16 (2,314 Views)
DPH
DPH

Duplicate Text Messages

How bizarre - i've not heard of that before. Try putting a friends sim into your phone and see if it misbehaves in the same way using their sim - if it does your phone has a very strange software fault, the good new is a quick holiday to the Vodafone repair centre will no doubt resolve it.
Message 4 of 16 (2,314 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
TELICvet

Duplicate Text Messages

Are you using a 3rd part SMS app?? I used to use one that sent most things twice. I changed the app and it hasn't been a problem since.
Message 5 of 16 (2,314 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Nicola_V

Duplicate Text Messages

Good Evening baldrick3

Welcome to the eForum :D

Thanks to DPH & TELICvet for the information they have given so far - Cheers Guys ;)

Have you tried what DPH has suggested ?
Were you still having problems ?

Have you noticed it happening to specific numbers or networks ? Or does it vary ?

Im sure with additional information we will be able to get to the bottom of this for you

Cheers

Nicola
eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 6 of 16 (2,314 Views)
baldrick3

Duplicate Text Messages

Are you using a 3rd part SMS app?? I used to use one that sent most things twice. I changed the app and it hasn't been a problem since.

No - I am using the Magic app
Message 7 of 16 (2,314 Views)
baldrick3

Duplicate Text Messages

Good Evening baldrick3

Welcome to the eForum :D

Thanks to DPH & TELICvet for the information they have given so far - Cheers Guys ;)

Have you tried what DPH has suggested ?
Were you still having problems ?

Have you noticed it happening to specific numbers or networks ? Or does it vary ?

Im sure with additional information we will be able to get to the bottom of this for you

Cheers

Nicola
eForum Team

No I haven't tried another sim yet but as I am on my 2nd phone & sim I am not sure why this would help. Is Vodafone prepared to send me a PAYG sim to try?

It seems to be totally random. I text my son regularly. It has happened a few times with him (he is on vodafone). My wife is on vodafone and it hasn't happened once. My brother in law is on Vodafone and it happens every time i text him.
Message 8 of 16 (2,314 Views)
baldrick3

Duplicate Text Messages

No I am using the built in app
Message 9 of 16 (2,314 Views)
baldrick3

Duplicate Text Messages

No I am using the inbuilt sms app

sorry for the duplicate replies. I got kicked out when making my reply so thought it hadnt registered
Message 10 of 16 (2,314 Views)
DPH
DPH

Duplicate Text Messages

Ah right so it's not with every message you send. Have you checked to make sure the entries aren't duplicated in your phone book? or that the people don't have the number listed twice in the one entry. ON my phone I can list multiple numbers for the same contact - perhaps the magic doesn't like multiple entries on the same record.
Message 11 of 16 (2,314 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Duplicate Text Messages

Hi baldrick3,

This does sound like a strange one :wacko:. I'd certainly give DPH's last suggestion a try. (Thanks again DPH :)) If it is that there's multiple entries on some contacts then that would explain it.

If not then I'll need to have a closer look at your text message logs. I've sent an email to you so I can access your account, if you could respond as soon as possible with all the details then I'll be with you as soon as I can.

George
eForum Team
Message 12 of 16 (2,314 Views)
baldrick3

Duplicate Text Messages

Ah right so it's not with every message you send. Have you checked to make sure the entries aren't duplicated in your phone book? or that the people don't have the number listed twice in the one entry. ON my phone I can list multiple numbers for the same contact - perhaps the magic doesn't like multiple entries on the same record.

The problem is it isn't (or doesn't seem to be) contact dependant. Sometimes messages I send to certain contacts are duplicated, sometimes they aren't.
Message 13 of 16 (2,314 Views)
baldrick3

Duplicate Text Messages

Hi baldrick3,

This does sound like a strange one :wacko:. I'd certainly give DPH's last suggestion a try. (Thanks again DPH :)) If it is that there's multiple entries on some contacts then that would explain it.

If not then I'll need to have a closer look at your text message logs. I've sent an email to you so I can access your account, if you could respond as soon as possible with all the details then I'll be with you as soon as I can.

George
eForum Team

I have replied to your email so look forward to any input. I am close to the end of my tether. I am on my third phone & third sim and the problem persists.
Message 14 of 16 (2,314 Views)
baldrick3

Duplicate Text Messages

Hi baldrick3,

George
eForum Team

George

I have received my payg sim card but it has no credit. I thought you were going to put £1 on it so I could run a test? The problem still exists but seems to be mainly where I am starting a thread or where I am sending the same text to more than 1 person at the same time
Message 15 of 16 (2,314 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
PaulE

Duplicate Text Messages

HI Baldrick3,

The SIM should have £1 of credit added to it so that you can activate it fully - if you're missing this, reply to the email George sent you and we can get it sorted out ;)

Paul
eForum Team
Message 16 of 16 (2,314 Views)