Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Got 3g but no 4g on Unlocked HTC One m8

dbarber
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Took on Vodafone 4g tariff beginning of June 15, so far not been able to connect to 4g.  Had 10+ calls to Vodafone and there tech teams, 3 separate SIMs, many checks on coverage (OK), phone APN config (OK) and network mode (OK - GSM / WCDMA / LTE Auto).

The phone immediately connects to 4g using my son's SIM that is on the 3 network.

May be something to do with incompatibilty with the network frequency used by Vodafone?

12 REPLIES 12

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

It could be an issue with the frequencies used for 4G - but that will depend on where the phone came from and what frequencies it operates on.

It could also be an issue with 4G in your area.  Have you tried your Vodafone SIM in another 4G handset?  Have you got any friends or family who are using Vodafone 4G?  If so are they getting 4G in the area?

PWIAC

Just found:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/how-tell-whether-phone-is-supported-by-your-network-3...

If this article is correct, then Vodafone works on 4g frequencies 800MHz and 2600 MHz.  My phone only has 2600 MHz so it should work unless Vodafone do not use both frequencies on all masts.

I have not tried my SIM in another 4g handset but I may head to a Vodafone shop to test it out after first visiting the shops of other mobile companies.

drey_p

2600Mhz is not used at every site so that could explain why you're having issues.

Yep, that sounds like a good course of action.  If your SIM works in one of the phones in the store and gives 4G signal, you know it is potentially an issue with the handset.  

PWIAC

I would rephrase that to say that Vodafone are selling 4g tariffs without indicating that it's not available in many areas even though there coverage map at:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/uk-coverage-map/index.htm

Says for my postcode:

Indoors and outdoors, you can expect to have a reliable connection for email and the internet using a 4G-compatible phone, laptop or tablet. You can also expect good 4G browsing and download speeds.

drey_p

Erm, I am not sure what that has to do with it?

If your handset uses 2600Mhz but the site in your area is transmitting 800Mhz, you won't get 4G signal.

Do you have any friends or family or perhaps neighbours who are using Vodafone 4G in your area?

Either way, please read the disclaimer under the coverage map - it makes it clear that it is a guide only and not a guarantee of actual coverage.

Where did you get the phone from?  

PWIAC

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
Hi

According to Message 7 in http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-manufacturers-OS/Oneplus-One-amp-4G-Capabilities/td-p/2287367

"The 2600MHz spectrum will only offer a limited range. It’ll be implemented in densely populated areas, like football stadiums or arenas, where there’s a lot of people one particular place."

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Just rung HTC Support, IMEI number indicates the phone was manufactured for UAE not UK!  Phone was bought online from a large retailer.

The coverage map disclaimer does not say anything about it being dependent of the frequency transmitted or a phones capability to receive.

Thanks for you advice.

drey_p

@dbarber wrote:

The coverage map disclaimer does not say anything about it being dependent of the frequency transmitted or a phones capability to receive.

Agreed but it is based on the assumption that you would be using a handset intended for the UK market or sold by Vodafone UK.

A phone that is designed to work in a particular country or market doesn't necessarily work in another.  Take the USA handsets - I have friends from over there who have major issues when roaming in Europe because of the different frequencies used.

This is why the onus is on us as users to check the frequencies if we are buying a handset, particularly one that isn't intended for this market.

PWIAC

If Vodafone sell a product the onus is on them to provide adequate information on the compatibility of the SIM only tariff with particular handsets, particularly when most users have no idea about the network technology involved.

It would not be difficult for them to put up a warning that "the SIM will only work at 800 and 2600 MHz, so please check your handet specification before buying".