You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
ChunkyBloke

HTC Desire 2.33.161.2 Update Failing - Hanging on reboot

Downloaded the above update yesterday and tried to apply it - phone reboots and hangs at the boot screen (Green HTC, no quietly brilliant strapline)

I remembered from the 2.2 update that it could take some time, so I waited...and waited...and waited....for nearly 2 hours and nothing happened.  I have now tried this several times, waiting each time at least 30 mins (I seem to remember the much bigger 2.2 update taking about 10 mins!!) and I get the same thing each time - hangs on the boot screen and does nothing.

I have even tried doing a factory reset (good that google keeps all my contacts in the cloud), formatting the sd card, downloading the update a total of three different times (in case it was getting corrupted) and always the same result.....hanging on the boot screen.

This is a business phone so I can't do this during the day and I don't want to waste my entire evenings trying to get this stupid thing to update.

Please, anyone any ideas?  And Vodafone, you did test this properly first didn't you????

Message 1 of 10 (4,979 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Re: HTC Desire 2.33.161.2 Update Failing - Hanging on reboot

Hi ChunkyBloke, welcome to the eForum!

We've not had any major reports of issues with the newest firmware release either before or after we closed the eForum for our own update, so the issue would not appear to lay there, and you've also taken every step from your end to address the likelihood of a corrupt download.

Can you walk me through the whole procedure as you follow it so we can see anything which may stand out and, as this could help.

It may be that our engineers will have to see this personally to resolve things, but 'd like to see if we can pin something down before resorting to this.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

DaveN

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 10 (4,850 Views)
ChunkyBloke

1) Download update

2) Start update

3) Phone reboots, and hangs on the green HTC logo

4) Wait for an eternity (nearly 2 hours in one instance but never less than 30mins) for absolutely nothing to happen.

Same result after factory reset, same result with a formatted SD card and a factory reset and a fresh download of the update - i.e. a 'clean' phone (with wifi setup to download the update)

Factory reset was tried two different ways - via the normal menus and also via the power on menu (volume down and the power on key)

Maybe it would be more useful if you told me what to do rather than get me to repeat what I have effectively already said in my previous post, or some suggestions of what to try maybe...?

Message 3 of 10 (4,729 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Hi ChunkyBloke

Sorry to see that you are having issues with downloading the new patch of firmware.

I have just done this on my HTC Desire, and it only took a couple if minutes to install.

I did this over the network and not WiFi and this has worked perfectly.

The install of this did take a bit longer as it is a large installation, in all this took about 10 minutes in total to down load and install.

The way I did this was: Settings > about phone > check for updates.

If this doesn't work can you download this through HTC on your computer?

Martin

eForum Team

Message 4 of 10 (4,614 Views)
ChunkyBloke

Martin wrote:

Sorry to see that you are having issues with downloading the new patch of firmware.

Nope - I am not having problems downloading the update - I am having problems with the update

I have just done this on my HTC Desire, and it only took a couple if minutes to install.

I did this over the network and not WiFi and this has worked perfectly.

The install of this did take a bit longer as it is a large installation, in all this took about 10 minutes in total to down load and install.

The way I did this was: Settings > about phone > check for updates.

Given that I said in a previous post that I had downloaded the update 3 times just to be sure it wasn't corrupted, It should be clear I know how to download the update.

If this doesn't work can you download this through HTC on your computer?

It does work, the problem is with the update itself hanging as it says in the previous two posts and also in the title of this query

Martin

eForum Team

So... can we try again....?

Update downloads fine...ok?

I can start the update process fine... understand?

The UPDATE HANGS AFTER THE PHONE HAS REBOOTED AND GETS STUCK AT THE HTC LOGO AND GOES NO FURTHER NO MATTER HOW LONG I LEAVE IT AND THIS IS THE CASE HAVING DONE A FACTORY RESET ON THE PHONE - ALL OF WHICH I HAVE STATED BEFORE.

I don't mean to be rude but I'm looking for some suggestions of new things to try, not how to do things I have clearly done already.

Message 5 of 10 (4,606 Views)
Rank 8: Helper II
Pendarric

Hi chunkybloke, 

wow red typeface - must mean you're quite frustrated by now :smileysad:

if you've tried downloading 3 times, is that by both wifi & via the network to rule out one particular delivery system that may be corrupting the file as it downloads?

Also at anytime in the past have you modified your original OS from the stock one that came with the phone, which may mean the update isn't recognised and may cause the hanging you're experiencing?

You may have to re-install your current OS (prior to update) and, without making changes, go straight to the current update and see if it installs?

Hope this, in some way, helps?

Message 6 of 10 (4,591 Views)
ChunkyBloke

Hi Pendarric,

Yeah I am a bit frustrated! :-) Regardless of the delivery mechanism (WiFi or phone network) the update comes down the same size each time (and I could copy it to my PC and unpack it ok) so I'm pretty confident I have an intact update file.

The phone has, to be honest, hardly been changed since it came out of the original packaging other than applying the 2.2 update a while back which went fine. Other than running through the setup (WiFi and email) and a little cosmetic setup of the various screens it is pretty much a vanilla phone (Hence why I was quite happy to try a factory reset a couple of times) - anything of any importance lives in the cloud.

I'm willing to try re-installing the current OS, but don't know how to do that - do I go to the HTC website and grab a download from there or something? A quick scan there didn't show anything...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I need a little help on that one :-)

Message 7 of 10 (4,538 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
EddyOS

Flash the 2.33.161.2 RUU that's about on XDA. It will reset the phone and you'll lose all data BUT it will mean you're on a completely stock ROM which should be working
HTC One X (S720e)
ROM: 3.14.401.31 (JRO03C)
HBOOT: 1.39.0000 | Recovery: Stock
Radio: 5.1204.162.29 | Kernel: Stock
Message 8 of 10 (4,529 Views)
ChunkyBloke

Thanks for that EddyOS, I've grabbed a copy and will give that a whirl and report back.

I can't afford for the phone to be down for whatever reason over the next couple of days - so in case of problems I'm not going to try it until Friday Evening.

Thanks for the suggestion - appreciate it :-)

Message 9 of 10 (4,507 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi Chunkybloke,

I need to stress at this point that EddyOS's suggestion will invalidate your Vodafone warranty as you'd be installing unapproved firmware onto the device.

As you've already tried resets, reformatting, redownloading - thanks to Pendarrick for checking that you'd tried downlioading via multiple routes as well - I'd believe there could be something fundamental which is evading the reset. To get around this, i'd suggest sending the handset for repair - see here - so we can reflash it from our end. That way an engineer can see hands-on what's happening if the issue recurs, which may make it easier to resolve.

If you have Vodafone Cover Me Insurance, don't forget a repair arranged instore will allow you to pick up a courtesy handset if you don't have one to hand.

DaveN

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 10 of 10 (4,488 Views)