You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

HTC Desire - Cannot connect to Mobile Internet, WiFi only

I am able to connect to the internet via my home wifi but cannot get any internet coverage when away from my house? I have an HTC Desire and am quite new to using a smartphone
Message 1 of 6 (8,255 Views)

Hi LizDribble

Welcome to the eForum... :)

If you press and hold the lock button at the top of the handset for a few seconds it will show a menu.
Check if "Mobile Internet" is switched on. If it is then try putting the handset into Aeroplane Mode for a few seconds and then back again.

If, it still is not working then try checking the Internet settings in your handset (http://devicehelp.vodafone.co.uk/filestore/devices/HTC/Desire/HTCDesire_WEB.pdf)

And lastly, I would get Vodafone Customer services to check if you have the Internet APN added on your account at their end.

Hope this helps
Justin
Message 2 of 6 (8,255 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

I am able to connect to the internet via my home wifi but cannot get any internet coverage when away from my house? I have an HTC Desire and am quite new to using a smartphone

Hi LizDibble,

You should be able to make an internet connection anywhere you have Vodafone signal. Can you confirm that you are getting signal in your area? When you try to connect to the internet, what error messages do you get, if any? What exactly happens?

If you're able to get signal, and make and receive calls, but not access the internet, you may want to follow our guide here to checking your phone settings are correct :)

Let me know how you get on.

Jon

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? click here
Message 3 of 6 (8,255 Views)

I have the same problem! Though I'm sure it worked when I first got it. Only got my Desire a few days ago direct from Vodafone. I've tried all the advice I've found on the forum to no avail.
Here are my APN settings
Name: Vodafone UK
APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk
Username: wap
Password: wap
MMSC: http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMS proxy: 212.183.137.12
MMS port: 8799
MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC : 234
MNC:15
APN Type: *
All other settings are

One of the instructions I found on this forum referred to creating another APN for internet, so I've done that as well.

Name: Vodafone Internet
APN: internet
username: web
password: web
MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC : 234
MNC:15

Mobile network fails to connect (unless I'm in range of my home wifi) and just leaves me with the "Connection failed" message under mobile network. I am in vodafone signal. Any help where I'm going wrong?

New just in, whilst I was writing this. I briefly got internet back (a few mins) after turning on & off data roaming (it worked after turning data roaming off again not when I turned it on briefly). But now, although "Mobile network" now says "Internet is ON", I'm unable to connect once again... I've even turned off wireless just in case it was trying to use someone elses but couldn't.

I feel it prudent to repeat, that I do have full vodafone signal strength (with 3G).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 4 of 6 (8,255 Views)

Well, I've got it working again... not sure how long. After much investigating and searching the internet turning the phone off (and leaving for a minute) is the answer. Seems to be a known issue. I'll post back if this keeps on happening in the hope someone can resolve permanently.
Message 5 of 6 (8,255 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi ARBo

Glad its now sorted, could you let me know if there are any problems.

Thanks
BenJ
eforum Team
Message 6 of 6 (8,255 Views)
Nexus 6

Nexus 6

More space to explore

Buy now