Support:

HTC

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
blod0304

HTC Desire - Internet and Emails

hi all,

I am going around in circles here. I have received my HTC desire just over a week ago and I have been trying in vain to set up my new phone.
I am able to access the internet and send and receive emails when I am attached to the home wifi (via talktalk) and have programmed the new phone in line with the guidelines offered by vodafone and in line with the blackberry and pc I was using before.

incoming
email address
password
incoming: mail.talktalk.net
port: 110

outgoing:
no tick
outgoing: smtp.talktalk.net
port: 25

this worked fine with vodafone, talktalk and blackberry combination but doesn't work now with the HTC desire. Keeping in mind that the only variable here is the handset?

I can receive emails fine (either when on wifi or by using mobile internet) but can only send emails when attached to the home wifi.
What are the settings please that I should be using? I don't want to change my incoming email account as my contacts use it.
The internet too doesn't always work when I am not connected to the wifi (although vodafone are sending me a new sim card which apparently will help).

finally, the third problem i am having is that the emails in my inbox are disappearing. inbox emails i have replied to show in the sent items file, emails i have deleted show in the trash folder, but other emails in the inbox which i haven't got around to answering disappear the next day. Really frustrating. Is there a fix for this?

Vodafone second line technical support can't help me (when I can understand them - arrrghhh!), and told me to go to talk talk. Talktalk say that if the wifi is ok and working with the email settings it should be fine to work on the mobile internet instead and there are no further ports etc they can recommend. HTC offered to send me a guide and then simply sent a blank email thanking me for my delivery?!!!!!

I have spent hours and days and days trying to get through to someone who knows what they are talking about and who can offer me a solution. I have trawled through all the forums, and tried various permutations and combinations but to no avail.

Can someone please give me a definite answer? Vodafone are offering to swop the model phone now tomorrow to another phone but frankly is there any guarantee i'm not going to have the same problem? perhaps someone can recommend an alternative model? lol

Please help - I actually would quite like the HTC desire if I can get this problem sorted - I can even work with the shorter than normal battery life with car chargers etc. It is obvious I'm not the only person with this problem.

Surely i'm not asking for much - just want a phone that does what it says on the tin! Always tend to find the best phone is the one that doesn't cause you problems!
Message 1 of 5 (3,223 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
mintvilla

hi all,

I am going around in circles here. I have received my HTC desire just over a week ago and I have been trying in vain to set up my new phone.
I am able to access the internet and send and receive emails when I am attached to the home wifi (via talktalk) and have programmed the new phone in line with the guidelines offered by vodafone and in line with the blackberry and pc I was using before.

incoming
email address
password
incoming: mail.talktalk.net
port: 110

outgoing:
no tick
outgoing: smtp.talktalk.net
port: 25

this worked fine with vodafone, talktalk and blackberry combination but doesn't work now with the HTC desire. Keeping in mind that the only variable here is the handset?

I can receive emails fine (either when on wifi or by using mobile internet) but can only send emails when attached to the home wifi.
What are the settings please that I should be using? I don't want to change my incoming email account as my contacts use it.
The internet too doesn't always work when I am not connected to the wifi (although vodafone are sending me a new sim card which apparently will help).

finally, the third problem i am having is that the emails in my inbox are disappearing. inbox emails i have replied to show in the sent items file, emails i have deleted show in the trash folder, but other emails in the inbox which i haven't got around to answering disappear the next day. Really frustrating. Is there a fix for this?

Vodafone second line technical support can't help me (when I can understand them - arrrghhh!), and told me to go to talk talk. Talktalk say that if the wifi is ok and working with the email settings it should be fine to work on the mobile internet instead and there are no further ports etc they can recommend. HTC offered to send me a guide and then simply sent a blank email thanking me for my delivery?!!!!!

I have spent hours and days and days trying to get through to someone who knows what they are talking about and who can offer me a solution. I have trawled through all the forums, and tried various permutations and combinations but to no avail.

Can someone please give me a definite answer? Vodafone are offering to swop the model phone now tomorrow to another phone but frankly is there any guarantee i'm not going to have the same problem? perhaps someone can recommend an alternative model? lol

Please help - I actually would quite like the HTC desire if I can get this problem sorted - I can even work with the shorter than normal battery life with car chargers etc. It is obvious I'm not the only person with this problem.

Surely i'm not asking for much - just want a phone that does what it says on the tin! Always tend to find the best phone is the one that doesn't cause you problems!

to be honest the best thing you can do for your phone, is to set up gmail properly, as the gmail app uses push notifications, ( where google willpush all emails to your phone so your not connecting to the server every 15 mins checking to see if you have any email wasting battery life).

since you have a google phone, you obvs must have a googlemail account. go to google.com and sign in, in the top right hand of the website.
then click on mail, this will take you to your google mail account, now i know you may not use it as you use your other email account but thats fine, if you go into settings, and click accounts and imports, then select the check mail using pop3, this will set up gmail, so that it syncs with your other email account, so if someone sends you and email to your other account, it comes into your gmail inbox, and will therefore push the email to your phone, therefore giving better battery life to your phone, but also having one inbox for all your email accounts you may have.
now you should set up the 2 options above it as well, import mail, and send mail as, therefore you can still use the gmail app on your phone to send email from your other account, and it will also fetch your inbox from your other account.

its what i do and i love having just the one inbox with 3 different email address being sent to it, and still being able to send a message from any of those accounts, and using push notifications, so my phone is checking the server every 15 mins wasting battery.

il add that the email app on the phone is a htc email app. and isnt as good or as powerful as the gmail app that you have on your phone. If you set up your gmail account correctly, you will have all your email accounts in the one inbox, with all your contacts, as your phone contacts sync with your gmail ones too, and you can also import your other email account contacts as well and have them all on the gmail app.

if you get stuck i'l be glad to help but am pretty sure google made this importing of email accounts pretty easy so you should be fine. the desires a great phone and unless you wanna get ripped off with an iphone, or have a boring blackberry, i'd stick with it see if this solution can work for you.

Message 2 of 5 (3,223 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Reidar

Hello Blod0304 and thanks for posting.

it seems there may be some conflict or connection issues with your talk talk account and our SMTP servers, the alternative is to setup a 360 option as follows:

1. Go to www.360.com

2. Create a 360 account, note your username and password

3. In your handset replace your current SMTP address with SMTP.360.com

4. The next thing is to make sure you use your username and password in the SMTP user and pass fields when prompted.

This should resolve your outgoing emails problem.

The suggestion to use Gmail is also a great one, especially since you can forward or pull email to Gmail.

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team
Message 3 of 5 (3,223 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
redders

Re: HTC Desire - Internet and Emails

Having been able to send emails thru' smtp.tiscali.co.uk this no longer works unless I am connected to wifi. Incoming mail is not a problem.  I have tried changing the outgoing settings to smtp.360.com with my username aruwon@360.com, but this does not work either.  What do you suggest.

Message 4 of 5 (2,609 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Woody

Re: HTC Desire - Internet and Emails

Hi redders,

I think I can see the problem.

When you are using the 360 outgoing server, the username doesn't need the "@360.com", just "aruwon". Also, you will need to use your 360 password as well. Let us know if this fixes the issue.

Woody

eForum Team

Message 5 of 5 (2,589 Views)