Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC Legend - Retrieving contacts

McGowan
Not applicable
After doing a hard reset on my legend I have lost all my contacts. I presumed that when I imported them from the sim onto the Legend there would still be a copy left on it, guess I was wrong. I hope that they are still there somewhere albeit hidden, can anyone advise me as to whether I can retrieve and how please.

The hard reset did solve the prob I had with accessing Market. How risky is it putting credit card details in to buy apps?
8 REPLIES 8

i.dudson
4: Newbie
Ref: Risk of credit card details when buying apps.
Buying thru Market is probably much lower risk than on the general web but regards outside the Market........... you takes your chance.
Personally, after having an attempt ripoff on my Barclaycard I took out a DEBIT card (cashplus) and load this with the ammount I intend to spend. If an attempt is made to intercept & use this card it can only work if they catch it between me loading the card & spending it (very short period) as there are no overdraft facilities. I just use this card on the web.

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

After doing a hard reset on my legend I have lost all my contacts. I presumed that when I imported them from the sim onto the Legend there would still be a copy left on it, guess I was wrong. I hope that they are still there somewhere albeit hidden, can anyone advise me as to whether I can retrieve and how please.

The hard reset did solve the prob I had with accessing Market. How risky is it putting credit card details in to buy apps?

Hi Lostthewill,

Lost contacts are not good. If they are not on the SIM, they may be on your last phone's memory - can you check? I personally would never use a SIM-based contact book - there really is no need if you're running an Android device, as you can upload all your contacts into your Google Account where they're stored forever and easily accessible from all your devices and computer browsers simultaneously. You'll never lose a contact again! Can you try giving this a go, perhaps?

As for paying for apps, as the money isn't to us we can't provide a security guarantee - although by all accounts, the Android Market is very secure. Ian Dudson makes a valid point (thanks Ian!).

Let us know if we can help further - don't forget that we have an HTC Legend Help page if you're new to Android!

Daz

eForum Team

McGowan
Not applicable

Hi Lostthewill,

Lost contacts are not good. If they are not on the SIM, they may be on your last phone's memory - can you check? I personally would never use a SIM-based contact book - there really is no need if you're running an Android device, as you can upload all your contacts into your Google Account where they're stored forever and easily accessible from all your devices and computer browsers simultaneously. You'll never lose a contact again! Can you try giving this a go, perhaps?

As for paying for apps, as the money isn't to us we can't provide a security guarantee - although by all accounts, the Android Market is very secure. Ian Dudson makes a valid point (thanks Ian!).

Let us know if we can help further - don't forget that we have an HTC Legend Help page if you're new to Android!

Daz

eForum Team

Unfortunately Daz after I imported my contacts to the Legend, I deleted everything from my old phone in preparation for recycling it! I'm amazed that a copy doesn't stay on the sim after importing. I'm sure I copied them to the memory card too but I get an error message when trying to import from that. I'll defo do as you say and upload to Google in the future. In the meantime I'll get some from other sources and get used to not being in contact with the ones I can't!

Wish there was the ability to add contacts details from received texts, like you can in email progs.

jakehake
4: Newbie

Wish there was the ability to add contacts details from received texts, like you can in email progs.

On both Handcent and Android Messages if I long press on any message i get the option to "Save to people" which is what you want I assume?

McGowan
Not applicable

On both Handcent and Android Messages if I long press on any message i get the option to "Save to people" which is what you want I assume?

Thanks Ian, that's a great idea. Thanks also Jake that'll make life much easier. I really must read the manual!

McGowan
Not applicable

Thanks Ian, that's a great idea. Thanks also Jake that'll make life much easier. I really must read the manual!

Hoorah! When I connected my legend to my pc to sync Outlook all my contacts were restored. I'd forgotten that I'd done a sync and that Outlook would copy from my phone as well. Happy Bunny Me!!!

Cracaca
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So many data loss happen everyday. If the data are important just backup them or you must download the software to get them back. Go to try the Vibosoft Android SMS+Contacts Recovery.

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Or sync them with Google.

Personally, I periodically export them to an external sd card then copy that file to a pc and a cloud service other than Google (just in case Google goes down).   Belt and braces, then an extra one of each never hurt anyone!