Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC M9 wi - fi and 4g text issues

BicknellBees
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
I have a HTC M9 and if I have wi-fi and 4g switched on I can not send or receive texts, if I change 4g to 3g (leaving wi - fi on) I can! I am paying extra for 4g and do not want to have to turn it off to receive texts.........can anybody help with this?
9 REPLIES 9

hrym
17: Community Champion

4G is only a data service and the phone should be using 2 or 3G for calls and texts.  It's somehow not switching correctly and I'm inclined to suggest a factory reset to see if that solves the problem (don't forget to back up your content and make sure your contacts and calendar are fully sync'd first).   It would be part of any repair, so you won't have lost anything by doing it yourself.   It might also be worth dropping into a Vodafone shop or a Carphone Warehouse with a Geek Squad just to see if they can spot somethign obvious that's not apparent without seeing the phone.

Thank you for that, much appreciated.

I am backing up and resetting the phone now, hopefully it will do the trick......

hrym

I have my fingers crossed for you. (So please post back when you have a result, before I get cramp!)

Sorry for the delay (hope the fingers are ok!), had to wait to get home as in a 4g area.........Unfortunatley no difference with 4g and wi-fi on text will not send, as soon as I switch the phone to 3g and wi-fi on it sends straight away. 

hrym

For some reason, it sounds as though the phone isn't dropping back to 3G to send messages.   As a matter of interest, what happens if you try to make, or receive, a call when you're in a 4G area?   That should also require it to use 3G.  The fact of wifi shouldn't affect it as messages are sent over the mobile network (assuming you're using the standard messaging app rather than the newwer Rich Communications Suite).

Have you looked around the setting of the messaging app to see whether there's a setting there that needs changing, though I'll admit I can't think what it would be.

It might also be worth asking HTC about this.   Don't mention the network initially or they'll probably just refer you back to Vodafone.

Thanks, I have been on live chat with HTC, who were very poor which was a shame as I am a HTC fan but really not very helpful at all. I have also been on live chat with Vodafone and there was not much help there either....All they seem to know is re - set the phone!

It now also looks to me that the phone is not dropping back to 3g.

The phone (texts) will work intermintantly but eventually will stop texting, I can make a call and after the call the texts kick back in a while.......go figure!!!

I think the only course of action left to me now is to send it back, however I do appreciate your help. Thanks very much.

Hi @BicknellBees

Thanks for getting back to us. 

As @DaveCD has mentioned, please look at our repair page for info on sending it off. 

Thanks,

Amanda 

Thank you, I have now given the phone in for repair to your store in Blackpool, hopefully it will now be sorted.

Thanks for all your help.

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@BicknellBees,

We'll be happy to take a look at the handset.

To find out what you need to do in order to get this sorted, take a look at our Vodafone repairs thread.

DaveCD