Support:

HTC

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
jonno1983

HTC Magic - 2.2 is on the way...

According to the guys @ android and me, Google are releasing android 2.2 on may 19th. Supposedly to .coincide with some Google I/O 2010 conference or something. So no sight of 2.0 for FV magics and 2.1 has just been come out of date.

Deeper reading suggests 2.2 will bring out the hidden powers of the nexus one and desire.
Message 1 of 417 (89,359 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
NeoBlade

Doubt we'd see 2.2 on the Magic but it would be nice. I'm sure many will be happy with Android 2.0/2.1 at least as a final firmware upgrade for the outdated hardware. Also the official HTC firmware upgrade for the HTC Hero has been delayed too until June.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 2 of 417 (89,358 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
JamsieL

According to the guys @ android and me, Google are releasing android 2.2 on may 19th. Supposedly to .coincide with some Google I/O 2010 conference or something. So no sight of 2.0 for FV magics and 2.1 has just been come out of date.

Deeper reading suggests 2.2 will bring out the hidden powers of the nexus one and desire.

As NeoBlade says, i suspect it will be for the HTC magic (i.e. .. the one the rest of the world got) not the hardware crippled Vodafone HTC Magic "With Google).. :(

Boo... Grrr!
Message 3 of 417 (89,358 Views)
NeoBlade

However, once it *does* get released, I'm pretty sure some devs will port it over for the Magic 32B ^_^ I'm personally keeping a keen eye on the MyTouch Slide ROM which has been ported to the G1 so far...

Wonder who will carry the MyTouch Slide phone as well?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 4 of 417 (89,358 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Hello

As we don’t currently have news on a software release date for this handset we’re unable to provide further responses to this thread at the present time.

Please see the below for frequently asked questions on software updates:

How can I check for available software updates on my phone?
How do I get a software update if my phone isn’t listed online?
Can Vodafone give me a specific date for a software release?
What happens if I update my software to a non-official version of software
Why do Vodafone have their own version of software for phones?

For more software FAQs click here.

Thanks

Martin
eForum Team
Message 5 of 417 (89,358 Views)
markvader

Take it with a big pinch of salt since this popped up on the 4chan forums, but there appears to be a new function with automatic updating for market apps in 2.2 (well its definitely not in 2.1 or earlier). the pictures showing this function are of a myTouch 3G

32A or B?

more details on phandroid.com
Message 6 of 417 (89,358 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
Crumplycord

I understand that the t-mobile mytouch 3G is a 32B device much like our vodafone magics, very very interesting
Message 7 of 417 (89,358 Views)
Insane_Homer

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/22/android...nning-on-magic/

Cellphones, Mobile Software
Android 2.2 spotted in analytics data, running on Magic
By Vladislav Savov posted Apr 22nd 2010 6:47AM
Hero owners, look away now. Google's Froyo appears to be almost ready to exit the freezer and enter handsets on an official basis. Since April 7, Android and Me have noticed visits from devices identifying themselves as having Android version 2.2 on board, while German site MobiFlip.de has come across pictures of a T-Mobile myTouch 3G (aka HTC Magic) that is supposedly running the latest software. The images are certainly easy to spoof, but their timing and our eternal optimism invite some attention. They indicate a new option for automatically pulling down app updates from the ether, which would be kinda neat, while Android and Me have also compiled a list of other rumored new features for Android 2.2 and confirmed with "sources familiar with the matter" that the new OS is indeed being tested right now. Their tip is to gaze expectantly toward the Google I/O conference starting on May 19 when we're sure to learn at least a little bit more. Considering Android 2.0 got a full features demo at that meetup last year, chances are good that Froyo will be on show in just under a month's time.

Magic32B running CyanogenMod 5.0.8 T2
Message 8 of 417 (89,358 Views)
NeoBlade

Interesting, the Magic is capable as it has enough RAM. I'm more optimistic simply because I've been running the MyTouch Slide ROM on the Magic for 2 days and its amazing... Really is considering its an alpha build. WiFi isn't working yet but fixes are on the way with me testing them out as well. Will post up screenshots later on but if Google can optimise Froyo to run on at least the 1st Gen Android phones, it'll make an awful lot of people happy.

Message 9 of 417 (89,358 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
monkeybiscuit

Hmmm, I call photoshop on that image unless it has been proven... the second 2 in 2.2 looks a little wrong to me.
Message 10 of 417 (89,358 Views)
fritter

Hmmm, I call photoshop on that image unless it has been proven... the second 2 in 2.2 looks a little wrong to me.

Looks wrong in the build number, too. I'm calling it a photoshop, too.
Message 11 of 417 (89,358 Views)
NeoBlade

It is pretty wonky but sources say its coming pretty soon (a month or so?). Froyo would be a welcome addition to the first gen Android handsets, just hope Google will push it.

Message 12 of 417 (89,358 Views)
dgriffiths

I agree, it looks fake.

I hope this doesn't mean we won't get 2.2 though.
Message 13 of 417 (89,358 Views)
Rank 8: Helper II
frostfree

I agree, it looks fake.

I hope this doesn't mean we won't get 2.2 though.

Very unlikely based on platforms confirmed for 2.1 so far, more likely that the limit will be 2.0.
Message 14 of 417 (89,358 Views)
NeoBlade

2.1 with SenseUI runs pretty well on the Magic, as long as its been customised for it. For example the successor to the Magic, called the MyTouch Slide, runs on Android 2.1 with custom SenseUI by T-Mobile and its pretty damn sweet. Even with very little done to the stock ROM it runs rather smoothly indeed.

Froyo however doesn't have SenseUI of course so that will save on performance. I guess it depends on how generous Google is to the early adopters of Android...

Message 15 of 417 (89,358 Views)
Rank 8: Helper II
frostfree

I think I like pics of the iphone 4, I just may.... :ph34r:
Message 16 of 417 (89,358 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
JarlSX

i really dont understand why vodafone (or htc, or any other provider for that matter) cant give us any info on a update for the Magic

we've been waiting half a year since 2.0 was released

seems to me this device has been abandoned and that we're better off buying something new
Motorola Milestone - SE Xperia X10
Message 17 of 417 (89,358 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

i really dont understand why vodafone (or htc, or any other provider for that matter) cant give us any info on a update for the Magic

we've been waiting half a year since 2.0 was released

seems to me this device has been abandoned and that we're better off buying something new

i think you have hit the nail on the head there.

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 18 of 417 (89,358 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
JarlSX

hoping the new CyanogenMod will bring a decent 2.1, there should be a beta out toight for g1 and mytouch/magic users
Motorola Milestone - SE Xperia X10
Message 19 of 417 (89,358 Views)
NeoBlade

I think it'll be more than decent. Cyanogen has been working solidly all week to bring this to loyal G1/Magic users, even though he now has a Nexus One (well a few of those :P). This should be the fastest and most complete Eclair build for the phone and I'm pretty sure all the other "file-pushers" will be using this as their base for spin-off ROMs.

Message 20 of 417 (89,358 Views)