Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One (M7) USB port

CrazyC
4: Newbie

I have a 15 month old HTC One M7, which whilst i use it a lot, I also look after well.  the other day i found it had put itelf into car mode for no reason, and then started giving me mesages about USB host mode, and now it wont charge at all except when turned off.

The PC wont communicate with it when its off, but fastboot can (but not adb).

Having googled this, I tried all the proposed solutions including factory reset and have of course tried different cables and chargers and blowing any dust out of the socket.

It seems - from googling - that I am not alone.

I cannot have the situation continuing - I use my phone all the time and for work as well.  It charges only slowly when off and having to leave it turned off to charge make the phoen useless for large parts of th day. 

Now the phone is still within the 2 year EU warranty and when phoning vodafone, the repair guy said that they would do an exchange, but when it got back to the service centre, if they thought it was excessive use or damage caused by the customer then I would get a £190 bill.  if it was uneconomic to repair then it would be £300 and something.

He said that it is generally where something has come away on the port  - and he said especially on this phone -(??) - that it would likley be judged by them to be customer fault and I would be charged.
I could arrange for them to pick up the phone, send it to the center and then they would call me with the outcome and see if I wanted to pay to have it repaired, but that elaves me without a phone for god knows how long.

I have never had an issue on the charging port before and am quite annoyed as I cannot really face a bill that size for what would then be a refurbed phone, especially given that I am out of contract pretty much.
Its frustrating also because instead of looking after the phone, if I had just dropped it and broken it then the insurance excess would be much less. The USB port should surely be made to be used within reason - perhaps if they had put a better battery in it it would not need charging so often....

I did not want tot ake out a new contract now as was quite happy with the phone (despite the purple haze camera issue) and was going to wait for the M9 ro whatever comes in 6 months.

Just a bit peeved right now, having been with Vodafone for a few years.  If I have to replace the phone then I think its probably time to look at moving providers.

Grrrr.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Turns out they just replaced it under warranty.

All good then, the first guy on the phone was just pessimistic (but right enough to warn me of what could happen).

So anyway, all sorted now.

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

HTC will probably be more helpful regarding a repair if you contact them direct.  As far as being without a phone goes, customer services offered me a small credit note so I could buy a PAYG at a store to see me through.

The battery life is a problem - look at the RCS thread - which has obviously compounded the USB issue and it might be worth throwing that into the mix with HTC if you contact them.

Cheers for the reply.

Since i have been trying to sort all of this, I have factory reset and wiped everything a whole number of times and accepted all updates, and at the moment battery life when I am using the phone doesn't seem too bad.  The issue for me is that to get a 100% charge I need to turn off my phone for around 6-8 hours and leave it on charge.

Currently, whilst considering options I am hoping that I can get by charging it over night and hope I make it through the day, but any heavy use and I am toasted.

I dont like 24 month contracts and came out of my 12 month one in september, and was hoping to skip the M8 entirely and go for the M9 before signing another, but it looks like I may have to sign a contract and get an upgrade that way (or probably a new contract with a different supplier) soon then. 

Just had a thought.  If I send it in and they say that it is excessive wear and tear, isnt that then accidental damage under the phone insurance, and so only the excess would apply?

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

I went through the warranty when my problem occurred but it excluded failure due to software so was of no use to me.  It is only for hardware faults but excluded normal wear & tear and connection to unauthorized accessories.  Either of those could be used as a get out clause in your case for them to repair but generally speaking if you look up how HTC behave, I think that you will find that they are pretty fair on this sort of thing.  I don't have insurance so I don't know what the small print says.  I expect that it will say something about the way that the damage or loss occurs so that they have wriggle room.

Have a look at the insurance and warranty terms and read them a couple of times in case they aren't clear, then decide what works best for you. 

Thanks again for the input.

Given that I have not spent my time playfully plugging cables in or out just for fun, and certainly havent plugged anything odd into it, as far as I am concerned I have used the phone in accordance with the manufacturers gudiance, and therfore the part was insufficiently well made to survive 18 months normal wear and tear (assuming its the USB port that has gone). 

Now, the insurance does not cover normal wear and etc (fair enough), but surely if Vodafone insurance claim it is normal wear and tear then the phone should be repaired for failing whilst under warranty through normal wear and tear.

You dont buy a car and then expect to have to change the clutch after 15 months and say 15k miles of normal day to day driving (not racing or anything that would obviously burn out the clutch).

I think I will phone them back tomorrow.

Well,

took the phone into a vodafone shop and they have sent it off to repair and we will see what they say.

No courtesy phones available but luckily I have an old Windows Mobile HD2 still in a drawer so am having to use that for the moment.

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion

If the USB cable fits securely into the Phone, i.e. not slack, then there is no damage to the socket itself.

The issue hopefully will be with the USB Board controller which can be replaced under Warranty.

Personally with things like USB sockets I would go direct to the Manufacturer, but that's just my preference.

Hope all goes well... 

Wink.gif

Well, I havent heard anything from them but a little while ago the status moved from 'in repair' to 'repair completed' so I can only assume it was done under warranty?

I guess only time will tell.....

thesoupdragon

Hi CrazyC

Hopefully that's a good sign :smileyhappy:

Keep us informed, it helps others with their querries... :smileywink:

Well, this is where it is:

Progress.png