Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One (M7) USB port

CrazyC
4: Newbie

I have a 15 month old HTC One M7, which whilst i use it a lot, I also look after well.  the other day i found it had put itelf into car mode for no reason, and then started giving me mesages about USB host mode, and now it wont charge at all except when turned off.

The PC wont communicate with it when its off, but fastboot can (but not adb).

Having googled this, I tried all the proposed solutions including factory reset and have of course tried different cables and chargers and blowing any dust out of the socket.

It seems - from googling - that I am not alone.

I cannot have the situation continuing - I use my phone all the time and for work as well.  It charges only slowly when off and having to leave it turned off to charge make the phoen useless for large parts of th day. 

Now the phone is still within the 2 year EU warranty and when phoning vodafone, the repair guy said that they would do an exchange, but when it got back to the service centre, if they thought it was excessive use or damage caused by the customer then I would get a £190 bill.  if it was uneconomic to repair then it would be £300 and something.

He said that it is generally where something has come away on the port  - and he said especially on this phone -(??) - that it would likley be judged by them to be customer fault and I would be charged.
I could arrange for them to pick up the phone, send it to the center and then they would call me with the outcome and see if I wanted to pay to have it repaired, but that elaves me without a phone for god knows how long.

I have never had an issue on the charging port before and am quite annoyed as I cannot really face a bill that size for what would then be a refurbed phone, especially given that I am out of contract pretty much.
Its frustrating also because instead of looking after the phone, if I had just dropped it and broken it then the insurance excess would be much less. The USB port should surely be made to be used within reason - perhaps if they had put a better battery in it it would not need charging so often....

I did not want tot ake out a new contract now as was quite happy with the phone (despite the purple haze camera issue) and was going to wait for the M9 ro whatever comes in 6 months.

Just a bit peeved right now, having been with Vodafone for a few years.  If I have to replace the phone then I think its probably time to look at moving providers.

Grrrr.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Turns out they just replaced it under warranty.

All good then, the first guy on the phone was just pessimistic (but right enough to warn me of what could happen).

So anyway, all sorted now.

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

Well its back in the store at Bluewater apparently so will try and pick it uup on the way home from work, and see what they say.

Turns out they just replaced it under warranty.

All good then, the first guy on the phone was just pessimistic (but right enough to warn me of what could happen).

So anyway, all sorted now.

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
Glad you got a good result 😉