Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One M7 burnt charge port

stefanlord
4: Newbie

Had my phone connected to the laptop yesterday, with an official HTC cable, and could smell burning. Turned out to be the charge port on the phone and it no longer works.

Have sent the phone off to be repaired/replaced through my 3rd party insurance.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this? And was it easily repaired?

Would prefare to have my phone fixed rather than replaced.

7 REPLIES 7

Retired-Rodney
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @stefanlord,

Sorry to hear what's happened.

This doesn't sound like common problem.

Although, the burning could've caused internal damage.

If this is the case you'll need your handset replaced.

Thanks,

Rodney 

hrym
17: Community Champion

Overheating charge ports aren't completely unknown but, as Rodney says, it's not a common issue.  As it's a possible fault, I'd see if you can get a replacement under warranty (if the phone is still within that period) rather than make an insurance claim and pay an excess and possibly higher future premiums.   I might also be inclined to go to HTC direct in the first instance as they may be more likely to replace than attempt a repair.  As Rodney also says, the burning has probably also caused additional damage.

Phone is over a year old now so I didn't think the warranty would apply. The excess isn't actually that much so I'll be happy enough to pay it if they accept my claim. Fingers crossed anyway!

hrym

Vodafone guarantee your phone "for the life of your contract" - I've never been sure whether that refers to the original minimum term (normally 2 years), or as long as you go on paying the device-inclusive charge.  Some manufacturers' warranties are two years, but I don't know about HTC.

Didn't know that. Although to be honest I think the warranty was void anyway as I had unlocked the bootloader and had been running GPE firmware.

hrym

Yes, probably.   There have been arguments over whether rooting voids the warranty, though all parties usually say it does.  If all you've done is install an alternative launcher, I think you'd be in the clear, though. I realise that all these are moot points as you're going down the insurance route anyway, but they may help anyone coming to this thread later.  Thanks for all the information you've provided so far.

stefanlord
4: Newbie

Quick update

Got my phone back last week from my banks insurance company, phone repaired and working perfectly.