Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One M8 Android Marshmallow Update - Battery Drain

MikeyB81
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Since updating to Marshamallow, 2 weeks ago, I've had a significant drop in the battery life of my device. 

I have looked around for a solution, but I have not come across anything that has worked yet. So far, I have cleared the data cache, cleared the system cache, and been through to remove any apps which may be causing the drain (e.g. Facebook).

To give you an idea of the drain issues I am experiencing; a 50 minute journey to work, listening to downloaded tracks on Spotify, replying to Whatsapp messages, and possibly watching the occasional stored TV show used to result in a 30% battery drain. As of this morning, the drain was 55%.

Prior to the new OS download, I hadn't experienced anything like this, and am now really disappointed with the performance.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? Do you have any resolutions?

Thanks

Mike

8 REPLIES 8

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi, sometimes after a major update a factory reset is required to get rid of the remnants of the old firmware, its worth a try, but make sure you have everything backed up that you want to keep (thats not on any external SD card as that should nt be affected by a reset)

Thanks to you both for the fast response, and the advice. I will give the reset a go when I get home tonight and update you tomorrow on the progress.

Do either of you know how I can schedule the new Google back-up? There doesn't seem to be the function/control that there used to be with the HTC back-ups.

Thanks again

hrym

I'd always remove an external sd card before doing a factory reset.   There have been instances where they've been wiped by the process (possibly when they're set as default storage for eg the camera).

To set up backup to Google, go into the main settings menu and look for Backup.   I forget the exact route from there, but there aren't many options and the one you want is a tick-box, possibly in a sub menu.   There's no schedule, it just happens when it needs to.

I've never restored from an HTC backup, so I don't know how theirs differs from Google.   The advantage of Google is that if you ever transfer to a different make of phone (:smileysurprised:), you can still do the restore.   Google backs up your installed apps, wifi settings, etc, but not content or app settings afaik.   I've done a cross-brand restore and it worked fine.   The option will come up when you sign back into Google and tick the "restore" box.

You've probably seen that the option to restore from the last HTC backup still exists, so you can use that if you haven't got a Google one yet.

Hi All,

I performed the factory reset last night, and the battery issue seems to be resolved (at this point in time). The reset did highlight some other issues that I thought were just related to the glitch, but may just be seperate ones. I appreaciate this digresses from my original post, but wanted to highlight none-the-less. 

1. Google backup is so very flaky. I had it set up on my device, connected to my account, around 7 hours prior to performing the back-up. When I restored the phone, I had to take the HTC backup from the middle of January, because the Google one hadn't worked at all. 

2. When I use the app swap/recent apps feature to get to Whatsapp, I have to go in and out of the app in order to be able to type a message. I can see the keyboard, and I press keys, but no text appears

Thank you all for your help in resolving the initial issue I was experiencing

hrym

You can check when the last Google backup happened by looking at your Dashboard on the website.  Exactly when they happen isn't apparent, but I suspect it's when the device detcts a change.   They are often quite old, but when I did the cross-device one, I did get everything I expected to.

thesoupdragon

RE: Google Backup

You need to go into Settings > Account & Sync > Google

In there make sure to tick all the boxes you want backed up. (I usually tick all of them)

TSD 

Wink.gif

hrym

@thesoupdragon wrote:

RE: Google Backup

You need to go into Settings > Account & Sync > Google

In there make sure to tick all the boxes you want backed up. (I usually tick all of them)

TSD 

Wink.gif

I only remember one box.   I shall have to check now!

Edited to add: ah, you're thinking of Sync, aren't you?   Google backup (the bit that remembers which apps you have and your wifi passwords) is separate, isn't it?   That wasn't re-enabled after HTC Backup went AWOL and I had to enable it myself.   AFAIK it's on by default for new set-ups, though.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @MikeyB81 -and Welcome to the eforum 

After a Firmware update its recommend to perform a back up to preserve saved data in the phones storage memory and then perform a Factory Reset which removes redundant files. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.