Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One M8 Android Update Lollipop 5.0

LordLanky
6: Helper
6: Helper
I know there's an old thread talking about Android 4.4.3, and this is largely the same question....

Any clues on when Android 5.0 is coming to the HTC One M8 on VF?
43 REPLIES 43

dwaindigital
4: Newbie
Been using it for 30minutes
It's working fine
No factory resets
A couple of updates to google apps and store which prompted me 3 times to update but didn't show it when I actually went to the store untill the 4 time
Seems snappy
http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/HTC/HTC-One-M8-Android-Update-Lollipop-5-0/td-p/2286267

robl1502
4: Newbie
Hi there
Noticed a few issues.
1. Keep getting an 'I' appear in the notifications saying that there is a configuration update but when I press it nothing happens. I get it everytime I turn my phone on after its been turned off.
2. On start up the HTC logo appears then goes to the Vodafone logo and then back to the HTC logo which seems to take around twice as long to start the phone up.

Any advice on either of these would be great. Thanks. Rob.

guyman
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
I kept getting that also and got another today and now connecting to WiFi

Updated mine on Wednesday evening.  All was going well until after the usual 'Optimizing applications' bit.  Upon restarting, pretty much every app crashed and produced an error report.  Then SystemUI went the same way.  Couldn't start anything...grey background, error after error.

Clearing the cache via recovery didn't work, so factory reset needed.  Through the night HTC Backup restored the essential stuff. Yesterday I reinstalled apps and resynced Google Play Music playlists through the day so now I've got it back to where I wanted it.  One plus of the process was forcing me to go down the factory reset route - clearing everything out means phone is now *super* quick, and 5.0.1 works great.   Just one problem remains - Spotify won't start.  Repeated reinstalls etc, no luck.  Just crashes every time.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi folks,

I updated my HTC One M8 last night. Thought I'd post a heads up on a few of my experiences.

First off, I had to free up a bit of space as I have large chunk of my Spotify playlists downloaded for offline mode. You can restore these or other files following the update, but I'd recommend having a good 700MB free. :Winking_smiley:

Time wise, this is the longest update I've experienced since having the phone. Don't be too worried about hanging screens on things like the download timer or the 'applying updates' messages. It took the best part of an hour to download via my Wi-Fi, and to then install. 

It's a good idea to have the phone fully charged and synced before you do all of this.

I turned the phone off and on again after it had set up as there was a lot of lag. I got the automated "It looks like you've swapped your SIM..." messages to confirm my data and network settings had arrived. 

I'd then recommend launching Play Store and going to 'My apps' in the menu. This is a major update so chances are there will be plenty of updates for a lot of your apps.

The phone may lag a little for the first ten minutes or so after all of this (as it applies the updates). You may have to log back into some services such as your Facebook and Spotify apps, and allow your Google sync access again under the latest Ts&Cs.

If you're still struggling, I'd recommend backing up your phone and performing a factory reset. Our Device Help page will show you how.

Hope this helps other users new to Lollipop, but feel free to post back here if you need a hand with anything else. I'll be happy to share more feedback or troubleshoot any teething issues. :Smiling:

Cheers,

Ben

Ben_H, that link takes you to "help and support" which is useless and not "device help page", there is no specific device help page.that I can see.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @greig2000uk ,

Thanks for the heads up! That'll be my "Friday fingers".

I've amended the link. :Winking_smiley:

Cheers,

Ben

Got the update this morning, all went well except for one slight annoyance:

The notification bar has an exclamation mark on it which states: 'An application requires an update fo..' Requested by Google Play Services.

OK, what application?  When you tap the message it goes to Google services on the play store and gives the option to disable or open. 

I select open, all it does is show me my google preferences and settings.

What needs updating and where to I go to do it! (Google need to make their messages more damn informative!)

EDIT: Fixed

It is Google Play Services that needs to update itself.  It appears that the first 'service update' settings were not recognised by the app so was not updating. 

Rebooted the phone, waited and I got a couple more Vodafone 'service updates' - 4G was then enabled and tapped the exclamation in the notification area.  The app then updated and stopped the notifications.

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I had a Google Play Services update too.

Once, when commissioning a new phone, I got an enormous raft of app installation failure notices.   The solution there was to delete the Google account and start again and it all went smoothly second time.

Tink-GB
12: Established
12: Established

Hi all,

The only issue that I have had is actually being demonstrated whilst I type using the HTC stock browser, it loses focus in the text box as you type and also zooms in a few percent too much.

Other than this the install went smoothly.

I too got the white information notification on switching on, saying there was a new configuration, however long touching over this brought up the application and the notification settings for it.

So far I'm impressed as I feel my stock Vodafone m8 is actually opening apps quicker and more responsively.
Auto brightness appears too bright to me though, as I wonder if HTC have tweaked the colours to make them slightly more vibrant..