Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One M8 Android Update Lollipop 5.0

LordLanky
6: Helper
6: Helper
I know there's an old thread talking about Android 4.4.3, and this is largely the same question....

Any clues on when Android 5.0 is coming to the HTC One M8 on VF?
43 REPLIES 43

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Badger101 wrote:

Just because this is a major update does not mean you have to do a factory reset. 

It's always best practise after any update, to do a hard reset, particularly if it is a major release. 

PWIAC

I am experiencing the same issues on my HTC ONE M8. fine before the latest update to 5.0.1 Lollipop.

My phone shows a service config message after every reboot. It also struggles to connect to Wifi and drops in and out repeatedly over the course of a day.

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

If you haven't tried it already, you may need to do a factory reset, I'm afraid.  Don't forget to back up your content and make sure your contacts and calendar are fully sync'd first.

Generally speaking, I'd always recommend restarting a device before doing an update.   That way, it isn't clogged up with too many open applications and RAM-hogging caches.

djd3tox
4: Newbie

Got my update installed without any problems.

However, I'm now experiencing a major wifi issue whereby every few minutes wifi will drop off and then reconnect. Tried forgetting & re-adding the network, toggling wifi optimization setting, rebooting router, turning 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz off of my router, nothing seems to work.

Googling the issue seems to find that other Lollipop users have experienced the same issue (although not necessary on the M8). 

Anyone else with this problem? I'm guessing factory reset will be suggested which will begrudgingly be my next course of action...

Update on my WiFi issue:

On my router I have both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies broadcasting networks with the same SSID and password. This has been working fine for over a year across all my devices (they will pick the optimum frequenct to connect to). 

Since Lollipop, my HTC M8 would disconnect every few minutes and then reconnect again. I have turned off the 5Ghz frequenct altogether and this has resolved the issue.

This is by no means my preferred solution as I'm losing out on all the benefits of 5Ghz, but at least it's working. If anyone else is experiencing the same issue then this might work for you.

Tink-GB
12: Established
12: Established
Don't forget that before you close any notification, if you long touch on it, it will let you know which app is causing the change.

For a while it was the app store itself. After that is was the phone settings...caused by VF pushing new apn's....however...

...Hate to say it, but I think a factory reset, after clearing the partition cache is the way to go imho..!

Today, I have had no issues at all other than the battery notification...

Don't forget to backup to Google to save you contacts, and export all your sms's too onto your sd card if you don't use HTC backup...

Finally make sure you have also cleared out all the unwanted apps that you uninstalled, these are sitting in the 'my apps' / 'all apps' section of Google app store.

Otherwise a full reset may try to install them, including a shortcut on your home screens if you leave that option on.

Tink

JDE1990
4: Newbie
Probably a pointless question, but any ideas on when Lollipop might hit the M7 (previous model)?

I was hoping for it at the same time as the M8, given they're basically the same phone.

Oh well!

Thanks,

Personally i have an M8 and i have not got the update notification yet and when i manually check for updates i get no new updates are availible yet im still running 4.4. Any idea on why i cant update?

Hi @JDE1990 and @Premetheus,

@JDE1990 - We don't have definitive launch dates. Our firmware policy has all the information :Smiling:

@Premetheus - The updates are sent out in batches. I'm sure you'll receive it shortly.

Thanks,

Matt

naeduk72
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi

I've installed the new Lollipop update with no problems at all - no factory resets, etc.However, there are a few new quirks / features that I do not know how to disable as I am not sure whether they are settings in the apps, in Android or in HTC Sense. If anyone could help, I would be very grateful.

1. My media controls no longer show on the lock screen - Spotify, Amazon Music, Google Play music, iPlayer radio, etc. I would like to reeable them.

2. Spotify now shows full screen album art on my lock screen. Any idea how to disable this?

3. I have had to disable all lock screen notification as the "Power Saver On" notification appears on the lock screen and tapping it accidentally turns it off. I don't need a "Power Saver On" notification - is there any way of disabling this notification permanently? The power saver icon still shows at the top of the screen and that is all I need.

4. I'm sure I used to have a little new mail icon at the top of the screen but I no longer get this. Any idea how to reenable this?

Many thanks