Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One M8 Camera problem.

WayneShaw
2: Seeker

Hello,

I have a HTC One M8 (had it about 6 weeks) and last week the rear camera stopped working. I can take a selfie, but that's it. There's no error message. I did a factory reset and it started working again, for a few day then it stopped working again. I've tried installing another camera but it says 'no rear camera detected'. I've tried another factory reset but it's still not working. 

Any ideas? or should I just take it to a Vodafone shop and get a replacement?

Cheers.

4 REPLIES 4

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi WayneShaw,

Welcome to the eForum. :Smiling:

If a factory reset hasn't sorted it out, I'd recommend a repair.

Before you do so, check to see if any apps are interfering with the camera. Were there any you added back on following the Factory reset? This would explain why it started working again at first. 

Cheers, Ben

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion

I think Ben's advice is probably best but there is a self test you can perform to check the camera yourself.

1. Open the Phones Dialer
  2. Type this code   *#*#3424#*#*
  3. Tap the Accept button
  4. Tick the "SD card +Camera Test" box
  5. follow on screen instructions
  6. If the camera does not work, it is definitely a hardware issue.

Note: 3424 on the dialer spells "DIAG"

philipsut
Had this too, tried the diagnostic above, which made it look like a hardware issue. But, before losing it to Vodafone repair (reluctant, as screens been cracked since almost new and they'll blame that even though there's no correlation) I thought I'd try a simple 'clear cache' from camera app which seem - so far/touch wood/cross fingers etc - to have done the trick... (settings/apps/camera/clear cache)

I'm assuming an update to the app means it's caching more pics to preview that then freaks it out, so will probably need to keep doing it as I take more. Hoping a further update will fix it...

hrym

If the screen's cracked, Vodafone won't be able to help you.  All the manufacturers require them to reject a warranty repair if there's any evidence of damage, however caused and however relevant.  Go direct to HTC and see what they say.   It's possible that the screen damage has weakened the structure of the phone and that's what's caused the camera issue.  Be prepared for a bill, I'm afraid.