Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One M8 No data

mrlambo
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Hi,

I've just upgraded and have a new lively working M8. Problem is no mobile data connection when I'm off wifi. I've checked all the settings and everything looks correct.

The phone just says "No connection because service is unavailable" in settings next to Mobile Data. I have a unlimited text and minutes plan with 1GB internet.

Vodafone...help!

Regards Paul
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

The first thing to try is texting the word web to 40127. This should make the network send you a configuration message to set the phone up for using data.

See if that works.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

hrym

Almost certainly.   If the phone has O2 firmware on it, I'd say you've been sent the wrong one.  Somewhere, there's someone on O2 trying to work out why they've got Vodafone firmware suddenly!

Talk to Live Chat (Contact Us at the bottom of the page) in the first instance for how to get this returned and a Vodafone device back.

Well, I can't say i have a solution to this, but it looks like I might have a resolution.

I contacted the company that repaired the phone under the insurance claim, and they, without actually admitting to such, inferred that my problem wasn't the first that they had been informed of regarding the wrong firmware.  Suffice to say arrangements have been made to return the phone to them, hopefully to get the right firmware on it this time!

I have actually been informed by a third party that they had a similar (not identical) problem after a repair, but in their case not only did the phone come back with the wrong firmware on it, it also had someone else's photographs stored on it.  Re-cycling perhaps?!

Bernie

hrym

It's likely that an exchanged device will be pre-owned and not brand new.   However, I'd expect it to be wiped (and that's normally part of the repair process anyway).  That said, an old device I factory reset several times in a multi-update process does still have some photos on it that I'm pretty sure haven't been put back later.

The firmware issue could happen if the repair shop is working for severl networks and somes devices have somehow got into the wrong channel   It certainly sounds as though they're aware of an issue, which is a start.