Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One M8 No data

mrlambo
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Hi,

I've just upgraded and have a new lively working M8. Problem is no mobile data connection when I'm off wifi. I've checked all the settings and everything looks correct.

The phone just says "No connection because service is unavailable" in settings next to Mobile Data. I have a unlimited text and minutes plan with 1GB internet.

Vodafone...help!

Regards Paul
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

The first thing to try is texting the word web to 40127. This should make the network send you a configuration message to set the phone up for using data.

See if that works.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

jeffkinn

The first thing to try is texting the word web to 40127. This should make the network send you a configuration message to set the phone up for using data.

See if that works.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

@jeffkinn, thanks, trying that now.

Should I get a response instantly or can it take a little while?

Regards Paul

I tried the SMS message and I got nothing back after 1.5rs. So I went online to http://www.vodafone.co.uk/settings and entered my number there.

I got a message back saying "Sorry. We were not able to send your settings." and then the usual stuff about entering the details manually. Under the already entered APN on my phone the settings are disabled so they can;t be updated. They do match those ont he website though so that looks correct as well.

Really not sure what to do next?

Regards Paul

hrym

OK, so this is a really obvious question, but do you have Mobile Data turned on in Settings?  Also, if you go into the APN list, is the an option at the top right of the screen to create a new one?

The lack of response to the SMS MAY be down to some phones installing configurations automatically, but it's distinctly odd that the other route specifically says that it can;t be done.

I fear a factory reset may be in the offing, but hang on in case someone else comes up with a better idea.

Hi,

Yep I have a data on my contract. I've just checked again and Mobile Data is working! lol

So as you say it must have been automatic in the background and I didn't see a SMS message.

I woul dguess the SMS message of "web" to 40127 was what fixed it and it just took a while to kick in.

Thank you for your help guys.

hrym

Glad it's working.  It's weird how some things just suddenly do after several frustrating hours :smileymad:

Sorry to ressurect this thread guys, but I've got the same problem and the suggested solution didn't work for me, or at least not completely.

I recently dunked my phone underwater and had to get it repaired under insurance.  I've got it back now but I can't get mobile data. It is enabled but says disconnected.

I sent an sms to 40127 quoting "web" as suggested and recieved a reply saying " It looks like you've swapped your SIM or updated your software...........you'll need to update your settings. We'll send you these by text shortly.

Fine, except that that was a week ago and I still don't have any settings! I repeated the message this morning and got the same reply.  So far (2 hours later) still no settings. Can anyone suggest my next course of action? I can get data on my reserve PAYG One V, but I don't want to use that when I've a contract M8!

Bernie

hrym

Have a look in Settings|Mobile Data|Access Point Names.   Does Vodafone Wap show there and is it set to default (green dot beside it)?   The text still implies that you'll see the settings arrive, but they tend to install silently these days.

In Mobile Data, if you see the option "get settings from provider", tap it and the phone will pull the settings down for itself.  If it's not there, then the devcic thinks they're installed correctly.

Hi hrym

Thanks for your reply.

In answer to your question, no,  Vodaphone WAP is not in The Access Point Names.  What is there however is the statement

"Access Point Name settings are not available for this user"

I'm wondering if this could be connected in anyway with the fact that when this phone came back from repair a week ago it had a new IMEA number and a new serial number (which means I presume it has a new motherboard) and it now seems to have O2 firmware on it as I get an O2 splash screen on boot up. That wasn't there before, and my account is definitely with Vodaphone. (It won't register with O2 either because its a Vodaphone SIM).

Bernie